Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What next ?  (Read 1615 times)

Jube

What next ?
« on: June 21, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »

Had liver function tests (twice) that came back high. Have had hepatitis screening which was negative,  Had ultrasound scan today and told all looked normal. Have booked next available appointment with my GP for 11 July - Just wondered what might happen next?  More tests ? Anyone else experienced this ?

breeze

Re: What next ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »

Are the results very high or just over the norm.  The trouble is any medical scale is set around an average and there are always some who fall either side.  You may just be an anomaly,but not at risk.

I frequently have sugar in my urine but am not diabetic.  In fact my blood sugar levels are excellent. I have been told by several  different GPs that I one of a few that fall outside the scale. I have a low renal threshold.

breeze

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

Forgot to say, I have fatty liver but normal function results. Go figure.

It may be you are being put through all the tests just for elimination purposes.  Hopefully you will get the all clear.

Evelyn63

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »

Ive to have mine repeated this Friday, after one element came back slightly elevated, the note the doctor put beside it was " probably of no significance, maybe just a few glasses of wine before test" ;)  To say I was mortified is putting it mildly.  In fact , the previous weekend we had in fact been to a wedding and a birthday party so that could well have been the case as I had the bloods done the following Monday.  She also wants me to have Pancreatic markers done, initially I was freaked out but think she is just being thorough as she is one of the best GP's in the practice , and leaves no stone unturned.  Im just hoping this repeat is ok as Ive been on loads of medication ( Sciatica) though no alcohol !!

Like the others have said, there are certain parameters that all tests fall into, and if you happen to be outside these, for whatever reason the flag up " abnormal" but what is one person's abnormal could be another 's normal .

I think if the USS has come back clear they will simply wait and repeat perhaps in three months.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »

As has been said the parameters are for average people, based on the results of testing a set number of people so they are not necessarily the same as normal results for some people.

Again as said it depends on how high your levels are and exactly what levels are high with liver.  the fact your scan and other blood tests are fine is great news.

I have a friend whose husband has exactly this problem. Every liver test is sky high and he had to undergo loads of other tests before they said this was normal for him but outside normal parameters.  Hopefully this will apply to you as well.

I have leaky kidneys that work perfectly well but I always test positive for occult blood and protein etc which causes huge problems with routine tests or hospital admissions. Had every test known to man and the problem was identified 33 years ago!