Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Bowel habits.  (Read 38952 times)

Cazikins

Re: Bowel habits.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »

I nearly got caught out this evening whilst I was walking the dog, got back just in time.......... I think it was the gravy I had with my dinner earlier  :o :o it's not easy is it girls.

Ju Ju

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »

Maybe it was the exercise! As CLKD mentioned! Sometimes the best seat in the house is the throne!

Bettyboo

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

Morning Ladies

It's so good to know I am not alone. Thinking about this I realise that it is not as recent a thing as I first thought and my bowels have been 'unreliable' for several years, in fact it probably goes back to the start of the peri-meno thing, at least four years ago.

I'm OK again today and not much 'gurgling' so I am wondering if it's diet-related. I was interested in Kathleen's comment about eating more vegetables, nuts and seeds. I am actually a vegetarian but I recently analysed our diet and realised that we don't eat enough fruit and veg (barely making the 5-a-day). I've tried to improve this and keep a check on the protein levels but I have a bizarre sort of fear that if I eat more fibre it will make me worse. I really need to get a handle on this before brain gets out of control again with health anxiety.

Do you think sugar could make it worse? Earlier in the week OH bought me a massive pastry and a 12-pack of Snickers (cheap date). I have to confess eating more than one Snickers during the day and this kicked off a lot of gurgling. Or another thought I had was eggs? I don't eat much dairy at all - soya yoghurts.

Yes, CKLD  you were right, I meant escitalopram. I take 5mg x 2 plus 40mg propropanalol. That thing 'tenemus' is not quite what you thought - it's the urge to go even after you have been, common with IBS-d. I started to look it up but came across lots of scary conditions so stopped. Am not supposed to Google stuff like that  ;D

Thanks BB  :)

Evelyn63

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 08:54:19 AM »

Diet certainly plays a big part with me Bettyboo, to be honest, though, I think I'm better with less fibre.  When I take my fruit, yogurt, wholemeal toast etc in the mornings Im running about three times. However, if I just grab a banana and cup of tea I seem much better?   

Sugar I think plays havoc with IBS, and interestingly Cazlikins mentioned gravy.  Its a big no no for me, I read its to do with whatever is in the thickening agent, same with cream or ice cream.  Definite NO NO's 

I exercise fairly well with walking , not so much at the minute as I have a painful back,but again, need to make sure Im somewhere close to a toilet in case I get the " rush" Not always convenient  (scuse the pun ) but exercise certainly moves things along.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:10 AM »

I wish that more villages had public loos  :-\ ………..

I wish that more towns had public loos  :-\

I wish  :'(

Ju Ju

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »

Oops! The prunes have worked! Too well!

Sugars not good, but I find the sugar substitutes more of a problem, including xylitol, which was had a very obvious effect when I tried. It bothers me that sorbitol is an ingredient in so many things including medication. It's in Fibogel, but that really helps me. I tried alternatives, but they didn't do the trick.

Dairy, particularly cows dairy can be a problem for people. I can tolerate goat and sheep dairy, but keep to cheese only. Sainsburys sell coconut yogurt with cultures added. It's yummy, so yogurt is back in my diet.

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »

How many prunes and for how many days  :-X  ???

Bettyboo

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »

Hmmm... a snickers bar allegedly contains 7 teaspoons of sugar; I *may* have eaten more than one. :(

Ladies, you may have given me some clues. Xylitol I can't touch, nor aspartame. I will have to pay more attention to the labels and stop eating cheap chocolate.

Kathleen

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »

Hello ladies.

I came across the work of Dr Michael Greger who advocates a ' whole food, plant based diet'. His reasoning is that consuming whole foods eg eating an apple rather than just drinking the juice, means we get all the phyto nutrients we need plus the fibre which feeds good bacteria in the gut.  I eat a salad every lunchtime, vegetables every evening and snack on fruit and nuts, that way it's easy to get more than your five a day and I do feel better for it. Sadly I'm not very good posting links but www.NutritionFacts.org is the site to go to if you are interested in finding out more.

Take care ladies.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »

Hey, whaddya know, the link worked!

Hope it helps ladies and yes, sugar is a big no no because it feeds the bacteria we don't want!

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »

Thanks.  If we go back to the Cave then it was grazing on raw fruits, grasses, eventually grains with some meat which  someone decided to cook: can you imagine the size of the skewer required  :D.  I am lazy in that when I feel well I eat what is to hand: pizza as well as freshly cooked chicken with veg./rice/pasta   â€¦â€¦.   today I'm struggling because my body is hungry  :-\ but I don't fancy much nor do I know what to reach for. 

Anxiety makes my bowels active  :-\ or knowing that we are likely to travel on a motorway  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »

How many prunes and for how many days  :-X  ???

The eat by date was imminent! So I finished the pack. That'll teach me! The good thing is it was easy and my tummy feels flat and I have lots 2lbs since yesterday! No I'm not obsessive about my weight, but by the time you have weighed yourself the flashing light on the shower has stopped and the water is warm. We all do it!  :D better than twiddling your thumbs!

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »

As himself tells me often, the weight of a good pooh might well be 2-3lbs  :-X

By the way: as an aside - what do you read whilst on The Throne?

Ju Ju

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »

Whatever's to hand, current book, suduko etc. Most definitely not the motorbike mags that DH reads! We have the map of the world in the toilet room, plus travel books. A friend came out one day declaring that we had the world in our loo!  :o

babyjane

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »

Husband always takes something in to read.  I am not in there long enough, I just perform and come out unless I am bunged up then I take in my electronic word search game  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12