Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Bowel habits.  (Read 38893 times)

countrybumpkin

Re: Bowel habits.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

Oh the joy of having your nether regions explored by some young good looking male Dr :o :o
My poor aunty who is now 87 yrs old developed womb prolapse when she was 81 and was sent to have the ring inserted. She said she got a gyny that could have been her great grandson easily. Because of her age she has lost all her body hair including pubic hair ( not a thyroid problem) and she said I could almost read his mind thinking why at her age does she shave down there ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »

::)

Ju Ju  -  I don't understand the 'not understanding' the gynaecologist bit  :-\

countrybumpkin

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »

I think JuJu could not understand him because of his standard of spoken english or thats what I read it as. 
I am alot more bolshy now with Drs that speak very bad english and will keep saying sorry I didn't understand that or if a nurse is in the room and after repeated requests to say again will ask them what was said.
The bolshieness comes with age ;D

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 09:07:36 PM »

He shouldn't be in Practice in the UK - all medics are supposed to have good quality English for that reason!

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »

I like the sound of your aunty, countrybumkin!

The gynaecologist/surgeon is a lovely man, well loved and respected by the nurses. But he is very difficult to understand due to his accent. I don't think that his English is at fault. A friend who worked at the same hospital, recommended I asked for him, as she said that if anyone had to mess about with her nether ends, she would rather it was him. I was warned that he was difficult to understand. Added to this, I have little background knowledge of what he was talking about to fill in the gaps. There is a limit to how many times you can ask him to repeat something and still not understanding. If I have to be referred on, then it won't be an issue. I only take issue with the suggestion that you can easily train your bowel to behave, after a lifetime of dysfunction. If only it were that easy.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »

Still - it's important to have good communication skills and it sounds like he lacks something  ::).  Apart from a Glaswegion accent and finding that I listen to the accent in Northumberland rather than what is being said to me  ;D ……..

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »

Does anyone get queasy when the bowel is slow  :-\ ?

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »

Not then, though I can feel pretty rubbish. I can feel nauseous and shaky,  if I make up for not being able to go for a few days and then do it all at once. It's as if my body goes into shock. Blocked a loo once! Taking fibogel stops it being so extreme though. TMI information?

Have done some googling and think I understand more what the consultant was trying to tell me, so it's a matter of waiting for the results of the MRI. Sometimes Dr Google can help and reassure. Also saw the lady who recommended the surgeon. She was able to give some further information that was helpful, because of her medical background.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »

I had a rotten morning  :-\ - after having a slow bowel for 8-9 days, this morning it decided to empty at 7.30 …….. of course, today we are away from the house for 3 hours with no loo access  >:(.  I managed a round of toast with a cuppa but had to revert to my emergency med to stop the churning tummy and bowel ………..  :'(

Home now so OK again.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:22:05 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »

Oh poor you! Do you think there is a psychological element here? Like I get up really early prior to having to go out and can't go to the loo until I go out the door, then sudden urgency! The number of times I have been late. So inconvenient and embarrassing, though I do apologise saying IBS issues if appropriate. Trouble is planes don't wait, nor can you run through security and immigration! (Thinking of recent problems. I did survive without casthrophe.)

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »

It was psychological as we were parked on the side of the road ……… portapotty to hand  ::) once I had taken the emergency pill I was able to relax a bit.  Home now  ::)

Having emptied in a rush my lower belly then feels floaty and queasy  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

I won't tolerate a slow bowel for more than 2 days, 3 at the very most before I give it a helping hand with a swig from the lactulose bottle.  Having suffered the most horrendous constipation for 2 years before my under active thyroid was diagnosed I would never, ever go back to that misery.  Plus if I don't go for a few days the pressure causes my haemorrhoids to give trouble and bleed so I keep myself gong one way or another.

Ju Ju

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:08 PM »

I wish it was slow transit that was the problem, but the surgeon mentioned rectal intussusception, rectal prolapse, which often goes hand in hand with a rectocele, which I have had repaired. I wish I had understood what was going on ages ago as I could have asked for help before it got this bad. At least I have been sent for the correct test. The trouble is, it is embarrassing and actually difficult to describe and talk about particularly to a male consultant.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »

It shouldn't be embarrassing though …….. that's why cancers get a hold.  Think, years ago it was embarrassing to talk about periods or menopause  ::) …….. it's a pity that when we are embarrassed that we can't visit with a GP we don't know!

babyjane

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »

Next year we get our bowel tests as we will both be 60.  I was concerned to discover a lot of people, especially men, do not return theirs as there is 'nothing wrong'.   :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12