Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Laparoscopy so nervous  (Read 2715 times)

Mrs Bennet

Laparoscopy so nervous
« on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »

Hi Ladies after seeing my consultant yesterday it has been decided that I need a laparoscopy to remove my ovaries......looking back at some old threads I saw a member called Debil whose problems sounded similar to mine wondered if she is still on the site ? for some reassurance I am soooo nervous xx

Taz2

Re: Laparoscopy so nervous
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »

I would say find out all that you can as to why your consultant wants to remove your ovaries Mrs Bennet. This is a really big step - the operation isn't big but the effect on the body will be. Will you be given HRT straight after? Do you mind sharing why this needs to be done. I have read so many stories of women who regret the decision to remove them that I would advise you to really read up on all of it. Sorry if you have already done this. Have your ovaries been shut down for a while via injection?

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »

I've found Debil. She is still a member but has not been on the forum since November this year. This is her thread http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22876.msg346991.html#msg346991  You could try a pm to her?

Taz x

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

Hi Taz don't mind sharing........I am post meno 3 years and have had severe pain on left side abdo my doctor treated this as IBS however  I ended up at my local hospital.... long story short.......I then saw a  gynecologist and as I said when the internal ultra was done he saw ' something' on my left ovary which was unclear thus this  decision was made xx

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

Oh ok. I would have thought that he would have carried out a laparoscopy on the ovary to determine what the "something" is rather than just remove it but lots of consultants think that once we are post meno the ovaries don't play a part in our well being and they consider that they are better out than in. I hope that he has discussed the possibility of HRT with you if symptoms are troublesome.

As for the operation itself it seems to be quite straight forward for most women with not too long a recovery.

Taz x  :hug:

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »

Thanks for that Taz.......I don't think I would be up for HRT as my mother had breast cancer.......so I am really hoping that... a) the something is nothing bad
& b) side effect from operation won't be to too troublesome

just scared witless about having it done as I haven't had surgery before.
xx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »

Sorry to hear about your mother Mrs Bennet. It will depend on what type of cancer she had as to whether you would be precluded from using HRT and also whether you have other close family members who have had breast cancer. I think you need to have had three close members for it to mean you are at heightened risk.

As for the surgery. It's understandable you will be nervous but I've always found that once you are in the hospital then all of the checks etc. take over and the nervousness disappears and before you know it you'll be waking up in recovery.

Taz x  :hug:

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:03:05 AM »

Aw thank you so much for your reassurance it s greatly appreciated  :-*