Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Changing from patches to gel  (Read 15738 times)

Wantmylifeback

Changing from patches to gel
« on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:28 AM »

Hi Everyone

Can anyone give me any advice about changing from patches to gel?  Do I need to wait until my period starts? Where is best to apply the gel and when is best, morning or night?  Unfortunately my gp didn't give me any guidance when she prescribed the gel and I'm not sure how to go about using it.  The leaflet says to wait until I've finished my current course of HRT but I am changing from patches to gel as the patches are not sticking and I need to change them 3 or 4 times a week, hence the change to gel to ensure balance of hormones.

Thanks in advance

WMLB

Mary G

Re: Changing from patches to gel
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »

WMLB, you don't need to wait, you can start the gel immediately, just rip off the patch and use it today.  I do a split dose of one pump in the morning and one in the evening.  I put one lot on my upper, outer arms and the other lot on my inner thighs - I do this to get a good spread and I have found it helps to put some on the lower part of the body to help with VA.  However, you can put the whole lot on in one go if you suits you better - arms or thighs whichever you prefer. 

I think you are doing the right thing by ditching the patches, I found them to be virtually useless.  The gel really changed my life, it is far more effective and more flexible because you can adjust the dose to suit your needs and as you can see from this forum, it gets very good results.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:33:10 PM »

Wantmylifeback - read the instructions that come with the Oestrogel - it should tell you everything you need to know about application but, as Mary says, just take the patch off and start the gel.
I have used the gel of nearly 20 years - I always applied it to inner thighs and never used more than 2 pumps per day. I applied it all first thing in the morning(one pump to each inner thigh) and allowed it to dry for 10 mins before dressing. The important thing is to apply it to clean skin and don't use moisturisers on the area you are using the gel.
I'd start with one pump per day fro a couple of weeks and only increase if the flushes etc aren't reducing - it can take time for the oestrogen level to build. DG x

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »

Thank you ladies, I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed 😘

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »

Hi wantmylifeback - it depends on what patches you are using and where on your cycle you are, and what progestogen you are using for that part of your HRT. If you are on combi patches then yes it would be a good idea to finish the course before starting with gel and separate progestogen. If you are already using separate oestrogen and progestogen then you can start any time.

By the way also I would not "rip" your patch off - that's the best way to set up irritation in my opinion - I always peel mine off very carefully for that reason. For the record I have always been happy with patches - but I have almost always only ever used Estradot which are tiny and stick very well so rarely come off.  I change them twice a week as advised and my sweats and flushes were banished very quickly :)

I am aware of course that different women find the different methods effective but one method isn't inherently better than the other - when we are talking about transdermal estradiol.

Good luck with the gel and hope it works for you!

Hurdity x

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

I have started on the gel and I'm feeling quite good already (I know it's early days), as you've said before its trial and error.  Fingers crossed the gel will keep me stable for a good while. Managed to run a 10km and pb today, so very pleased with myself ( have my period as well, so extra pleased).

Thanks for your support

WMLB xxx

Michelle46

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:27:57 AM »

Hi there
I am going to my doctor to change to estrogen by the way of gel. I'm on Evorel  patches at the moment but I'm just not well. Nervy anxious frightened and no sleep. I think it must be trial and error xx

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »

Michelle46, I have replied to you on another thread but changing from patches to gel would be a good idea (more details on other thread).  You certainly having nothing to lose by trying it. 

Michelle46

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 02:16:43 AM »

Thankyou
I am going to the doctors tomorrow and am asking for the gel to try x