Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Whats happening to me? Help  (Read 6183 times)

aarell

Whats happening to me? Help
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »

I don't understand, i started Hrt 10 weeks ago and was doing very well no more flushes but more importantly my mood was good and i felt i was nearly back to my normal self. Then over the last 7 days i recognised that feeling i get in my stomach which i think is anxiety and that has been building, i keep taking deep breaths again which ive been told is because im anxious and im crying again?im so scared of returning to how low i felt
when this all started. Does anyone have any advice please....

Noodle

Re: Whats happening to me? Help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »

Which HRT recipe are you on?

aarell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »

Premique 0.625/5mg.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »

Hi aarell

Sorry to hear about how you are feeling. Some women do find the continuous progestogens can cause persistent side effects. Others also find the mix of horse oestrogens that are in Premique are too strong. Many women thrive on this type but it does send some women loopy according to what I've read on here!

It is one of the old-fashioned HRT types - which happens to be the cheapest so depending how bad these feelings are and whether they persist, you might like to try another one like Femoston where the progestogen is better tolerated and the oestrogen is estradiol - the same one that our bodies produce (unlike the Prem types).

If the feelings are due to the progestogen - then you might be better off trying a cyclical HRT which will give you a withdrawal bleed - but you wouldn't have to take progestogens all the time. In fact it might be better if you do decide swap to this one, to start with a cyclical one like Femoston 2/10 - to see whether you get on better, and how you feel when on each phase of the HRT?

The other possibility is your cycle might have restarted. Not all women will be post-menopausal having been without a period for a year - there is always a small number who would continue to have the odd period so you can't rule this out either.

Hurdity x

kew

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »

I was very similar, only started on a continuous regime in Feb (Evotel Conti) and felt the best I had in ages, then when I had to have some medical tests along with starting a new job I became increasingly anxious, weepy, terrified of going to work. I thought it would all go once things had settled down a bit, but the anxiety just seemed to stay with me.

Have now been a month on AD (Sertraline) and it is made a world of difference. Have had two people comment that I am a different person. Just had my first work appraisal and my boss said she had been quite concerned as I seemed like a rabbit caught in headlights but that now I seem like a completely different person, a bit more like the one in my CV. Also my DR at a review of the treatment last week made the same comment.

I've never been on AD in my life before and once I got over the initial nausea (side effect) I feel so much more calm - haven't had a weepy moment in a month.

The downside is that I have to stay on them for 6 months, my sleep is rubbish, I wake at about 2am every morning, however this was the case before taking ADs.  I can't say that I'm happy, I don't seem to have a feeling one way or the other but I'm glad to be a little in control. 

Not the answer for everyone I know.  The Dr did discuss changing the HRT but I felt that it was working for me in the main part, no flushes and no night sweats or aches and pains, just a return of the pre-HRT anxiety. 

aarell

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »

Thank you ladies for your replies. I'm due back at the G.p's in 2 weeks, might be an idea to to get in sooner. Not had a good day today worst one for a while. I can't believe i panic now if i feel low in mood! Used to be a strong independant care free woman, i miss my old self :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »

It's "The Change"  ::)

Hormones run amok  >:(.  Maybe keep a mood/food diary?

aarell

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

The other possibility is your cycle might have restarted. Not all women will be post-menopausal having been without a period for a year - there is always a small number who would continue to have the odd period so you can't rule this out either.

Omg Huridty you were so right. Exactly fourteen days after i posted i started a period?!!!! A year nearly to the day. A little in shock.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »

I bet.  I didn't stop carrying sanitary protection for 5 years after my last period: in case  ::)

How do you feel this evening?

aarell

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »

To be honest Ckld I wish I could say I feel better; but I don't?. Im not tearful but I woke this morning with anxiety and im so uptight >:( one of my colleaques described me as 'looking a little wired latley' that did make giggle. Im booked in with GP tomorrow, think I need to try a different HRT regiem but anxious about pumping my body with different hormones :-\ (I am my own worst enemy) I need some brain peace pls.....

aarell

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »

Have been back to surgery and was seen by a different GP as mine was on holiday. He was really understanding and I felt at ease when explaining how I had been feeling etc. When I told him that I just had a period he was a little miffed that I had been started on a continuous HRT as at the time I was 49 and it was only nine months since I had a period.
He has now prescribed a cyclical HRT off Estraderm patches MX 50 apply twice weekly, with Utovlan 5mg tablets 1 twice daily, two weeks on then 2 weeks off.
The idiot that I am I did not think to ask when to start the Utovlan tablets?!!!! is it straight away or after two weeks???

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »

Ring the Surgery and ask?  The Pharmacy is located in the same building here  ::)

How nice to be listened to!  Hang onto him  ;)

aarell

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »

Why can't i think of simple things like that anymore :sigh: 

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:59:26 PM »

'cos it's part and parcel of 'the change'  ::) - you've got us here to back up your decisions too.  Lots of ladies find making decisions hard work, particularly when they are working, running a family, caring for elderly relatives …….. give yourself some slack!