Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adrenaline surges  (Read 13755 times)

coldethyl

Adrenaline surges
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »

I know a lot of us get these and I'm wondering if you have any tips or advice from your GP etc. mine just told me to up my betablockers which seemed to help a bit, but this last cycle both the surges and daytime flushes have been terrible. I don't want to up then again as my BP was 86/54 the other day and I feel like I might keel over some days. I'm sure my GP will suggest another go with SSRIs but I'm not anxious in itself just feel agitated with all the adrenaline sloshing round - plus it seems to make my menopausal induced urticaria so much worse. I could scratch my skin off today.

dazned

Re: Adrenaline surges
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »

Some AD s are for anxiety ,not as many people assume depression only. Discuss this with your gp which ones might help you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »

Do they last long?  For me it was like hot water racing through my veins, frightened me until I realised!

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »

They come in waves mostly. Some days I just get them, other days they sort of run into the hot flushes. I doing want ADs as I'm not anxious in itself. I can deal with the normal anxiety I've had for life, but these feel chemical if that makes sense so no amount of talking myself down etc does anything as I suspect it's just my adrenals making up for falling oestrogen. BBs were the answer according to my GP but on just 30mg my BP can get too low and I get other side effects so not sure where I go.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »

How long do they last?  Would exercise ease the feelings?

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »

It is physical and they can't be talked down, however, if you panic when having them, then not being afraid of them will stop them spiralling out of control.

I used to take low dose beta blockers as and when, when bad, but now I just ride them out. Staying on beta blockers rather than taking them as and when can also make you get a rebound adrenal rush as they wear down between doses but they are better than ADs as, as you say, they're not caused by psychological anxiety but by hormones suddenly falling (or surging).

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »

I suffer with this for hormonal and also psychological reasons.  I take a very low dose of escitalopram, the sister drug to citalopram but gentler.  It helps but not totally by itself so I add a very low dose propranolol twice a day, every day.  If I miss either one the problem returns but together they work for me.

coldethyl

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

Thank you ladies. I think it was a combination of being away on my own and the hormonal adrenaline. Normally I do ride them out as best I can but being way, I was aware of adding a whole pile of my own psychologically driven adrenaline to the mix. I do find the BBs helpful in many ways just don't want to lower my BP anymore as I already feel wafty at times. I'm going to be more diligent at my breathing meditations and dietary stuff as I think that does have an impact. Wish me luck as I'm about to get back on my exercise bike now. X

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »

good luck CE, food certainly plays a part.  If I don't eat wisely I have poor effects from it for several days.

breeze

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »

Diet plays a big part in this problem.

Try cutting out caffeine, alcohol and sugar as a first step.

This problem can be caused by 'adrenal fatigue' which is unfortunately not recognised by many GPs.  My son suffered with this and luckily one of our practice doctors is very forward thinking, and takes a more holistic approach.  He was treated with two strong steroid doses, given at the surgery about a week apart.  This was over a year ago and the problems has not re-occurred.

This website has a lot of useful info -

https://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:23:27 PM by breeze »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »

If I miss a dose of BBs (20mg at night/morning) then my head feels woozy.  If I miss too many then anxiety overtakes me and as that is why I am prescribed them  ::) …….. I've been on them since 2002.

wombat62

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »

Ok, I'm over these...I've never had so many in such a short space of time! I've had them occasionally, the last bad one back in Jan when stressing about a big day which lead to a bad night and it took some time to wear off.

However, in the last two weeks since the morning I woke up with the vertigo, I've had so many. Some have been mild but last week a whole night of cycles of them, rush, get calm, sleep, wake up and repeat. I've been dreaming a lot as well, the bad ones have gone thankfully but still a lot of dream activity.

I've been pretty good for the last few nights as away with hubby and relaxed but last night woke around 3 for normal night visit to loo, back in bed and woah...fortunately being in a safe environment (not on my own) I managed to over come it and get back to sleep but again woke around 6 with another milder one. Still feel a bit shaken but goes off eventually. There was no stress last night, had been out last night having fun with friends (but no alcohol!) took time to calm down before bed (cup of sleepy tea) unlike the ones last couple of weeks that did follow a stressy day.

I know I've been through a lot with the op, trying to get back to normalish foods etc plus losing now what has been 2 stone is bound to have some effect on my body and hormones etc as I'm pretty convinced it's that. I'm just not sure if it's low oestrogen or high...I would assume low as still get night flushes and sweats.

I need to get this sorted as I'm going back to some work soon for which I don't need these rushes at night as I need to be ok as they are long busy days. The advantage is that it's only for a few days so plenty of time to rest afterwards.

I spent ages reading the thread on the link from a previous post on gardenweb and there was lots of useful info on there. Have a few walnuts by the bed when they happen, maybe a small snack before bed, I've been feeling so sick with these last ones which is actually the worst part! Also one lady mentioned a calming supplement which the main ingredient was Indian Gingseng. I've found a couple of combination supplements in which are good for adrenal support and sleep (magnesium, b bits, Indian ginseng and lemon balm) so might give them a go until I can get to see the doc and a naturopath who's been helping a friend.

I would like not to have to up the hrt dose, I would like to come off it but I don't think I can whilst still working. I did half patches for a while which was fine until the night flushes returned.

I don't know how much of this is still related to the op etc I have days when I feel great but it's just this night stuff I need to get sorted, any other tips to sleep sound? Sorry turned into a long post!

dangermouse

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »

Mine were too powerful for diet or supplements to help and I did try everything. For 2 months I only drank milk due to severe nausea (hate it but to keep me from losing too much weight as I could barely keep water down) and was the same then and the months before when I had caffeine and sugar.

In fact, Red Bull used to make me feel nice and calm. I assumed I must have got addicted but after not having it for 6 months I had one and just felt the normal calmness. I think it seems to have a positive effect on my hormones in some odd way!

The pill was the only thing that calmed the surges for me. The docs did say that HRT wouldn't be strong enough and I think, for me right now, they are right.

The ones at night are indicative of low oestrogen (prog is higher at night and oestrogen higher in the day).

wombat62

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:55 AM »

Gosh they were bad ones then! I don't think I'll try Red Bull, I went on to decaf coffee today although it doesn't normally have an effect I just thought I'd see if it makes a difference.

Got some magnesium calm today which is magnesium, B Vits, Lemon Balm and Indian Ginseng....nothing too whacky so I'll give that a go and see if calms me down. Been a bit shaky today but may needed to have drunk more and also did a few minutes of yoga breathing see if all helps!

coldethyl

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »

Had a better day yesterday as period started. Bad morning today with the rushes and flushes and I've period cramp to help me along to boot. My day time hot flushes have ramped up again and the a next one is starting before the previous one ends. If I'm honest. I'm feeling at rock bottom emotionally as I don't have the energy to work with this anymore. I have OH telling me the only option is HRT but I can't face all the trial and error and worry of starting that either. My endometriosis is getting worse just with the oestrogen surges I'm producing let alone adding any more into the mix. Today is going to be spent researching supplements as I expect my potassium and mag are all over place with all the sweating! Great.
Pages: [1] 2