Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: High liver fuction test result  (Read 3235 times)

Jube

High liver fuction test result
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »

Really worried   :(  had some blood tests recently because of feeling tired. They all came back ok except the liver function test which was "high" so it was repeated on Tuesday.  My surgery has contacted me to say the doctor needs to see me before weekend   re this blood test result. I've got appointment for tomorrow but now I'm so worried - actually shaking !!! What might be wrong ?? (Only medication I'm on is elleste duet 1 mg)

countrybumpkin

Re: High liver fuction test result
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »

I understand your worry, you woud not be human if you weren't concerned.  There are loads of reasons for an abnormal result and it depends on which results are high.  Any drugs but especially painkillers and anti fungals can cause havoc with your liver.  Undiagnosed gallstones are another one or pancreas trouble. I am assuming you are not a big alcohol drinker as that can do this as well or you have been binging on high sugar drinks or food recently.

Your Dr will know the likely cause by which levels are elevated.  They are diagnostic but they do point the Dr in the direction of which other tests to do. Usually the first step is an ultrasound to see the liver/gallbladder and pancreas and possibly further blood tests.

Have you had liver function tests in the past?  Just asking as I have a friend who had never ever had any blood tests and when they finally got some out of him his liver test was totally abnormal and he had to have all sorts of tests to be finally told this was normal for him but not normal.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »

Yes try not to worry, I have very large red blood cells and apparently that is normal for me. Scared me though when I first found out  :o

Jube

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »

Thank you.
Just to add - up until last month I was taking tranexamic acid just before and during period - for heavy bleeding. Could that affect the liver ???

ellie

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »

I think any tablet you take can affect your liver.....

dazned

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »

Agree,all tablets have to go through your liver where it gets processed,sure its nothing to worry about,maybe it had too much to deal with at once.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »

Could def be tablet related. T acid is one that can affect the liver. The worst I have come across is anti fungal tablets for toenail infections as you have to take them for so long. Just about everyone if they had a test would get seriously wonky results on these tablets.  They return to normal after stopping the drug but it can take months.

Let us know how you get on x

Jube

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »

Thank you - all of you - for your replies. I love this forum - so many people who care and re-assure. Thank you again and I'll let u know how I get on  :)

Jinja

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »

I had a raised liver test i can't remember which one, I also take t acid luckily my next one came back normal I had googled and found muscle strains could also lead to increased and I do go to the gym slot. Seems that the liver can be affected by all sorts of things. Hope it goes ok