Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: The doctor/patient relationship  (Read 3954 times)

babyjane

The doctor/patient relationship
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:31:29 AM »

Do you actually have to do everything the doctor says, to the letter, or is there room for compromise and working together to find the best thing for the individual patient.  Are patients at risk of being struck off a doctors list if they don't toe the line?

Surely the patient knows their own body best and knows how they feel and what works/doesn't work.

Reading posts across the boards there appears to be a vast difference in the way members of this forum are treated by the different GPs represented here.

My GP and also my consultant both work with me, it is like a partnership, and they are open to what I tell them.  Therefore I am more likely to listen and consider what they tell me.  They don't dictate and genuinely have my best interests at heart.

Joyce

Re: The doctor/patient relationship
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »

Definitely should be a partnership.  I've recently seen different GP at my practice. He listens, doesn't dictate. He's quite laid back in character, so never appears to rush things. He's been there for a while, but only recently did I think to see him. Hubby likes him too, not that he goes very often.  ::)

saffy123

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »

Hi, I have felt that because I don't quite fit the box (ie a lot younger and va/bladder problems first off), I have struggled to get doctors to take me seriously. One doctor even told me I would have to be 47 to be in peri menopause! at the time I was 39. I think a lack of proper treatment early on has had a big negative on my bladder, still struggling to get on top of the frequency. I really feel a lack of estrogen over the last few years has probably damaged my bladder.
In the end I resorted to paying privately, I was desperate for someone to acknowledge my problems were hormone based.
xx

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »

Your GP is wrong saffy.  There isn't a hard and fast rule governing the age this all starts.  We have had members who went into perimenpause in their 30s.

It is so wrong that women have to pay to get the care that they are entitled to  :(

GPs know a little bit about a lot and don't always have the in depth knowledge needed, but they need to be willing to admit this and refer a patient on, not be dogmatic that their word is the be all and end all of the subject  >:(

saffy123

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

Babyjane I have had to fight so hard to be heard. I really felt like I was going mad, so many doctors looked at me as if I was crazy. One gynaecologist (very old and male) even offered to open up my cesarean scars, because he said my symptoms were more likely a result of a bad operation than hormone related!! I couldn't get out of his office quick enough.

So here I am still in lots of discomfort, but I have at least found a private doctor who has really listened and believes fully I'm estrogen deficient. We are just struggling to find something that will work, cause my bladder has gotten so bad  :'( xx

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

so sorry you have had this.  I sincerely hope you find some answers soon.  :foryou:

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »

As in any relationship, there has to be trust and respect for it to work. I have found the new young GPs in my practice seem to listen and care. The doctor I see most of the time could not prescribe testosterone, but recommended a private gynaecologist she had worked under as a registrar, which has worked well.

There was one male doctor I avoided like the plague. The general consensus among my friends was that he didn't like women! He's just retired.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »

I think those new GPs or Trainees from College are keen to treat patients - they aren't yet dis-illusioned.  When our GP opened the Practice locally he invited all patients currently on treatments for a 'chat'.  I told him that he was 'never to tell me "It's just a virus" because I am me, not like other people' - we've got on relatively well since  :D

If ever I don't think I've got the response I need or was expecting, I wait a week/2 then go back and open up with "I obviously wasn't listening last time because …….. ' as I never know who he has spoken to previously, whether he has sat by the bed of a poorly/dying patient or if a member of his family is having difficulties.  Also, if he/s away there's the option of speaking the Practice Nurse for reassurance or seeing/speaking with another GP in the Practice.

Justjules

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »

I think a Dr and patient relationship is so important but these days how can we have one when we can't always get to see our preferred GP? I am gutted as my lovely GP of 20 years informed me last week that she is leaving to go and live in The Lake District. To say I am gutted is an understatement. She knows me really well, knows my anxiety, knows my history etc, so even though I do have to see different dr's from time to time, there is no-one else in the practice that I feel at ease with. There are quite a few new young ones but when you are this age, you feel you need someone with a bit of life experience and not someone who's literally just closed the text book and is ready to practice!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »

That's difficult Justjules!

Cazikins

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »

I am happy with the GP I am seeing at the moment with my NON MENO issues, however I would not be comfortable with him if I had meno issues. I would still rather see a lady doctor.
For me it depends on what the health issue is.
All my meno issues have been discussed with lady docs, & to be honest as soon I mention I am a member of the MM forum & have read up about it, & put my points forward, they always agree to what I suggest, after checking my BP etc.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »

I am very fortunate to have a very good male GP who understands me and works with me but I also have a good lady GP when I need her.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »

It doesn't bother me which sex I take my medical issues to, hopefully they will have the same basis knowledge and I know all 3 have a good bedside manner  ;)