Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Good afternoon  (Read 1940 times)

Evelyn63

Good afternoon
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but certainly not to the problems associated with Menopause!  I'm 63 and obviously post menopausal.  For a long time I've suffered from cystitis but I could self manage it fairly well, using OTC remedies and DWaterfall Manoose tablets.  However I had a really bad UTI early April and although I got started on antibiotics I haven't seemed to fully get rid of the symptoms, frequency, burning the usual.

I eventually went to see my GP on Friday past.  She is of the opinion a lot of my problems are down to vaginal atrophy, we had the " conversation" about sexual intervourse, thankfully she was very professional and matter of fact so it wasn't too awkward.  She gave me a few options, one being a  lubricant  and the other vaginal pessaries, I think she said Cyclogest ?  I wanted to have a think about it, and have to say all the information I've read seems very positive.  The oestrogen bit was what concerned me but she reassured me the amount in the pessaries was negligible and is safe to use.

I have decided to give them a try, has anyone else used them for cystitis?  I'm just reading through some of the topics and I am very impressed with all the advice and support given. My GP directed me to the site which in itself spoke volumes, she holds it in high regard and it's obvious why.

Thank you in anticipation .

babyjane

Re: Good afternoon
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »

Hello Evelyn and welcome to the MM forum.  Well done your GP for recommending it.

I have successfully used Vagifem pessaries for over 5 years now to manage vaginal atrophy.  I used to suffer with cystitis regularly but since using Vagifem I haven't had one single episode.  It was explained to me that it is not just the vagina that dries but the urethra leading from the bladder becomes dry to so infection is more likely to take hold.  Sometimes there is no infection but because it is dry it gets irritated and feels like cystitis.

I personally have done very well and will continue to use the pessaries.

Hope you enjoy the forum  :welcomemm:

Evelyn63

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

Thanks Babyjane, thats good to know, I will hopefully get them by tomorrow and start them ASAP !

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »

Hi Evelyn63

:welcomemm: from me too.

I agree with what babyjane says. I am 63 too, and although I use full HRT (patches) and have done for 9 years, I also use vaginal oestrogen to help keep all those symptoms at bay.

It won't be Cyclogest you've been given - that is progesterone used in fertility and sometimes off licence as the progestogen part of HRT. I imagine it is Vagifem as babyjane says and which I also use. Absolutely - a tiny amount of oestrogen is absorbed.

One thing is, because you have had no oestrogen for so long (if you've never used HRT?) then you may have some initial side effects - because more oestrogen is absorbed through thin atrophied vaginal tissues. If you use one a night for at least the initial two week "loading" period ( your doc may have even suggested longer than this in your case) and twice a week thereafter, your vaginal tissues will plump up nicely and very little will then be absorbed and any minor side effects will diminish and disappear.:)

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »

yes I had some initial stomach cramps and a bit of bloating on and off for about three weeks then it was all systems go all the way  :)

One thing is, because you have had no oestrogen for so long (if you've never used HRT?) then you may have some initial side effects

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:59:20 PM »

I use Ovestin1mg twice a week without problems.  Stopped the feeling of razor blades up there  ::)

Evelyn63

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:10:32 PM »

Oh my goodness, thank you all so much for responding. I'm actually becoming tired and emotional mainly at the relief being able to articulate how I feel and actually getting help and support.  Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »

< hands over Kleenex > browse round, ask away!