Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lactose intolerance??  (Read 4308 times)

Dandelion22

Lactose intolerance??
« on: May 02, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »

Hi Ladies, for the last 2 weeks I have had a strange bubbling stomach which has been quite bloated.  I have had to resort to indigestion remedies which I haven't really needed for the past year.  I have had a really bad morning which started just after I had a bowl of cereal with milk.  Looking at some of the other posts on the forum I am now wondering if I have a lactose intolerance.  I have been eating quite a lot of natural yoghurt over the past few weeks and that could have started it all off.  I have been to the Drs and explaining a popping stomach had him looking at me like I had really lost the plot but he has arranged for a scan to take place some time in the next few weeks more for reassurance other than anything else.  I am 56 and my last period was at Christmas so perhaps this is a hormonal change.  I am going to cut out milk, yoghurt and cheese for a week to see if this will help.  Any advice would be more than welcome. Thanks

Minniemouse

Re: Lactose intolerance??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »

Hello Dandelion22, it seems that lactose intolerance can come on at any time-but mine started after a course of antibiotics. When my tummy didn't recover after, my GP recommended I cut out cows milk and dairy then gradually reintroduce after period of time. I can now tolerate butter/cheese but not milk. So I drink soya or oat or whatever. Apparently it is a thing! So worth a try! Grateful I can still enjoy cheese!  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »

Hello Dandelion22.

I think giving your digestive system a break from dairy products is a good idea and it will be interesting to here how you get on.

I gave up dairy milk and yogarts nine years ago and replaced them with plant alternatives eg almond milk and soy yogarts. A few years later I also stopped eating cheese and eggs and for the last three years I've been WFPB ( whole food plant based). It is totally doable and a plant strong diet brings many health benefits.

It hope you feel better soon and please keep us updated.

Take care.

K.

jgr

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »

I went through this a few years ago about mid way through the menopause. Stopped all dairy products and started using Lactose free products. This helped settle my tummy, the acidity and nausea feeling. After a while i started to reintroduce dairy products again and am no longer taking lactose free. The only thing i have to be careful with is cakes which can give me an upset tummy, not being a great lover of them, they are easy to avoid. I do however take Soya milk now and again just to give my body a break from dairy, i like this milk so again this is easy for me.

Golden retriever

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »

Hi
I am in early menopause and 6 years ago started having terrible pain in stomach. Was admitted to hospital three times. Had 2 endoscopes and one colonoscopy. It resulted in they think I'm coeliac too , I was off gluten so a blood test couldn't tell me.
If you still eating wheat/gluten worth a blood test
I too can't tolerate dairy.I ate some cheese the other night and was not well for 2 days.
We can develop allergies  while going through menopause.
Hope this helps
GR xx