Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Piles advice  (Read 4804 times)

Toptotoe

Piles advice
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »

Hi there,
Hope I've posted in the right place.

My question is 'What is the next stage of treatment following Proctosedyl?'

I've had IBS symptoms for probably 30 years-since age 19. I'm prone to getting a bit anxious-so having any health problem is always worrying....and probably makes IBS worse??
I'm post menopausal-19 months since last period and I've been on HRT patch for 5 months.

In Feb I had a particularly bad episode of constipation / slow transit which has now led to the worst episode of piles that I've ever had....and I've had piles/or fissures on  and off for 30 years due to the IBS. OTC creams usually helped..and a previous GP prescribed rectogesic for fissures which also worked.

A few weeks ago I was prescribed proctosedyl which I took for longer than it said...it was working while I was taking it . Now that I've stopped the symptoms have returned. ..burning , soreness .

So, I was wondeing what the next step will be ...I'm at a loss to know what to do now to alleviate the symptoms ...I've tried baths, ice, witch hazel, anusol cream.
I'm seeing my GP this Thursday...but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome...as this is starting to get me down...not least because I start a new job in a few weeks...and we're planning on going on a 'big' holiday in the summer ( been planning this for 5 years) which involves a long haul flight etc.

It's possible that the above has contributed to my symptoms but I'm wondering how to manage so that I can cope in my new job and I can enjoy the holiday!!

Sorry for the rambling post..

Xx

Halfpint

Re: Piles advice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »

I've suffered from external piles for years. Are yours external or internal? I find if I spend too long sitting around they get worse (it's best to keep active - walking will help). I also use one of those stools like you buy for a potty training toddler. I got mine from Ikea for a couple of pound. I find if I sit with my feet up on the stool while going for a number two, then it helps a lot. I use those Andrex toilet wipes rather than toilet roll. You can buy cheaper versions but the andrex ones are quite often on offer in supermarkets.

I always used anusol but one time I couldn't get any in my local shops, I tried this one and I found it much better as it has an anaesthetic in it. It does burn when you first apply it but it soothed my piles a lot quicker than anusol did.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Germoloids-Relief-Ointment-Painful-Swelling/dp/B000KHVKSY?ie=UTF8&ref_=pdp_new_dp_review

Do speak to your GP and see if they offer any alternatives. You can have them surgically removed, but I have heard this is more painful than having the piles!

Toptotoe

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »

Thanks Halfpint,

I've used some of the cream you mentioned...but unfortunately this is the worst episode I've experienced..so it's it's not having  as good an effect as on previous occasions. The proctosedyl I used is prescription only....so is quite strong .. I don't know if there are any alternatives or is a ' procedure' the next option  :-\ ?

It would be nice to know if there is something out there that works ....New job and big holiday looming

X

Kate50

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »

Never had piles like yourselves but have allways used cypress oil in the bath 10 drops and a homeopathic remedy and tissue salts you can get them all in good health shop