Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and counselling  (Read 2928 times)

bramble

Anxiety and counselling
« on: April 22, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »

Since I got into my 50s I have had real problems with anxiety. Over the years I have tried some medications and a whole host of alternative treatments from vitamins to EFT. You name it I have tried it. Up until a few years ago my anxiety was manageable but in the last 2 years I have noticed my world growing smaller and smaller. I do not do things I previously enjoyed and do not go out as much. Throw in a bit of possible agrophobia and a possible bit of depression. I find I do not have the emotional energy now to force myself out. Even doing the garden now is almost an unsurmountable hurdle rather than a pleasure. The downside of this is the less I do the less I can do.

So I have taken myself in hand and signed up for some counselling in order to try and kick start my life again. I have gone from a woman who travelled the world on her own to one who hardly ever even goes to the shops for groceries. I have chosen as my therapist a woman who has umpteen years experience both as a therapist and clinical psychologist.

Wish me luck!

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and counselling
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »

I do wish you luck!  Don't be surprised if she gives you homework  ::).  In the mid-1990s I was housebound and thought I would never go for walks, do any gardening again: I had a problem with being outside in case the neighbours wanted to chat over the fence which would back me into a corner  :-\ and I would feel hot, sick, dizzy ……… for 3 months I left the house to go to see our GP but for nothing else. 

I would set off for town but half way there would begin to feel anxiety raising and have been known to leave loaded trollies in Supermarkets; race back to the car; turn around without getting out ….. my GP gave me Propranolol 40mg at night and I was already on ADs.  Plus my emergency tablet and Hey Presto! we have a Life again.

Little steps.  If a short course of ADs or the emergency pill helps, go with that too.

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »

Good luck Bramble. I have found counselling helpful over the years. Also Mindfulness meditation and general breathing practices. I know what you mean about world getting smaller. I used to travel all over UK on my own to see a band but now, I am worrying about going in car with hubby tomorrow to see my parents as just being where I can't get away from easily freaks me out. X

Halfpint

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »

Good luck Bramble. I have never tried Counselling but my daughter had a few sessions and I found what they told her interesting (writing a diary of what you are anxious over that day and then going back to it next time you feel that anxiety and seeing that nothing bad happened the last time you had it).
Do let us know how you get on and if it works for you.

Justjules

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »

Just to add my good luck too Bramble. You are making positive steps to help yourself and that's a good thing. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »

I wish you well Bramble and well done for making the decision to address your anxiety.  I finally went to my GP last October after 14 months of it.  She did give me a low dose medication and I had some CBT which was interesting but not terribly effective.  Following on from this I also found myself a therapist who is someone my husband knows so not a total stranger which I found helped.  the antidepressant I take helps me deal with the weekly sessions and although it is straining my bank account I look on it as investing in the rest of my life.

bramble

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »

I am going to give it my best shot. Even though my gilded cage is very comfortable I need to get out more! The litany of celebrities passing this year has brought home to me that life is passing me by and I need to do all the things I want to. So courage in both hands, big girls pants on......................

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »

Little steps.

Make plans - don't allow your pantry/fridge/freezer to run down - that way you can go shopping at your own pace and not because you HAVE to go

Learn to say 'no' - and don't feel it necessary to justify

If asked to do anything say 'I need to consultant the calendar so please ask someone else in case I'm not available'

When I got going in therapy I went into Supermarkets, had a slow walk around looking at stuff on the shelves, reading labels, putting cans back - I worried more about being stopped for shop-lifting  :D

Let us know how you get on!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »

Go for it Bramble - having counselling was one of the best things I ever did.  I researched for the therapist really carefully as well.  It takes time and can be an emotional journey but seeking constructive help is the vital first big step so you are well on your way to a better future.  Good luck  Dg x

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »

Hello bramble and good luck from me too.

I also see a professional therapist and am very impressed with his knowledge and expertise.

I am sure you'll be in good hands and do keep us updated.

Take care.

K.