Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling like I have a terrible disease. Perimenopause  (Read 24043 times)

suki15

Feeling like I have a terrible disease. Perimenopause
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »

Hi
I am new on here. This sounds pathetic I know.
I am 46 and usually am a happy and friendly person.
My life has completely changed due to peri.
Last night was up all night with burning mouth,lips and gums and buzzing in ears and acid reflux.
About 4 months ago I had a panic come over me and from then on have changed.
Depression ,anxiety and panic attacks brought on by the horrible symptoms. Tinnitus,pressure headaches, hot flushes,the weirdest of nights. Frightened,weak legs,feeling like I'm going to die (well I know I'm not). I suffered panic 7 years ago but this has come back 10 times more. My body is ready to give up. Are all these symptoms normal?

coldethyl

Re: Feeling like I have a terrible disease. Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »

If they aren't , I have the same disease. I've suffered anxiety and panic for years but this is off the scale and I just feel like I'm trapped in a body that is disintegrating round me. My legs can feel like they are jelly or not there at all some days, I've buzzing all over my body , electric zaps, headaches, bunged ears and I had the burning mouth when this started a few years back. Lots of good advice on here and just venting helps x

suki15

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »

Thanks for replying. I can't get myself to do anything and I always had a lot of get up and go. Did you consider HRT?

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

Thanks for replying. I can't get myself to do anything and I always had a lot of get up and go. Did you consider HRT?

Considered it but trying without as family cancer , migraine and endometriosis so not sure it's best option for me. Also both the Gps I spoke to about it said that it was possible I'd feel like this when I eventually stopped it so I'm inclined to try and push through now at 50 rather than feel like this down the line. Never say never, though.

Bettyboo

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Hi Suki15 and welcome

Just popping up to say you're not alone. All those same symptoms and more. Panic is the worst. This group is great and very supportive.

best wishes

BB

suki15

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:26:07 PM »

The panic is terrible. I feel so frightened and sensitive to noises. I need to sleep but when I try to relax this frightened feeling comes over me.

Halfpint

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »

There is a great site called 'www.no more panic'. Have a look on there also as it gives good tips for dealing with panic and lots of stories like on this forum that make you realise you are not alone.

I have suffered with anxiety since childhood so dreaded it when I read that menopause makes it worse...I have definitely noticed a big increase in my anxiety in the last few years since starting peri menopause but the only way I deal with it is to make sure I get a good nights sleep (not easy with menopause) as been tired makes mine worse. If I go too long without eating it makes it worse. I try not to  drink too much coffee and I don't drink alcohol. I find I have to push myself and make me do the things that are causing me panic/anxiety otherwise you are letting it win. Try to keep busy..when you start to panic, get up and move about or even phone someone for a chat or come on forums like this!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »

Hi suki15

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

However don't let coldethyl's GPs put you off HRT. The argument that you will have to go through menopausal symptoms when you eventually stop HRT is both wrong and misleading.

Wrong - because you only actually go through menopause once ie cessation of ovarian function. The hormonal fluctuations that happen during the peri-menopausal transition will only happen in this extreme way until menopause. If you go on HRT and then come off it eg 6 years down the line - then what will happen then is that oestrogen levels will decline - they won't rage up and down and you won't ovulate so progesterone will be stable at its post-meno low level (and like it is in the first half of the menstrual cycle). What will happen when you eventually come off it - is that symptoms due to oestrogen deficiency may become apparent eg vaginal atrophy, osteoporosis, possible cardio-vascular problems etc as well as permanent low mood/anxiety. You may or may not suffer hot flushes for ever after stopping - some women just get them for a few months and then they disappear.

Misleading - because what about the years that you were taking it? Say you started taking it at 50 and took it for 7 years - and then experienced some symptoms when you came off it? Well at least you've had 7 more years of the protective benefit of oestrogen on your health, and the quality of life that it enables you to have just at the time when you want to keep happy and active.

Worrying about what happens when you come off oestrogen/HRT is NEVER a reason not to start it in the first place for the reasons given above. It is a spurious reason!!!!

I have been on HRT for 9 years now and I'm almost 63 - OK I may have to come off it at some point - depending how long I can put up with having progesterone - but whatever happens I will never ever regret the 10 + years of taking it as I have been able to be flush free, fit and active - don't have to moan about feeling down, headachey (well sometimes!), anxious, sleepless, lethargic etc etc!

Fortunately when you are post-meno anyway the panic should ease as your hormones won't be raging but great to use mental and psychological strategies to deal with it as has been suggested, in the meantime - and at the appropriate time - HRT will work wonders!

Hurdity x

PS Edit - oops pressed wrong button before I'd finished the post!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:39:43 PM by Hurdity »

suki15

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

Thanks for your lovely message. I am going to pick up a prescription for HRT. It is Evorel patches. I will start them tonight  😊My doctor was all for them. She deals with women's health too. I want these few years to be good so I can do things with my kids before they leave home. Doing things with them is my priority at the moment.

DEETLE

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »

suki,   wondering how the HRT is working for you so far??  I have the horrid anxiety panic as well and I cannot believe how frightening it is..   (please respond on my thread your answer if you would be so kind... cuz I don't know how to follow your thread yet.. still learning)   thank you

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:40:55 PM »

suki15, I would definitely recommend you take HRT and not just for your menopause symptoms but also for the long term health benefits.  There is no reason not to take it and there is no time limit on it either - I am intending to take it for life. 

Attitudes and guidelines for HRT have changed recently and the benefits of taking it are immeasureable.  HRT medication has moved on tremendously since the 1990s and I think it is only a matter of time before all women will be advised to take it unless they have a serious underlying health problem. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »

How are you getting on?  Hopefully your HRT will have eased some of your symptoms all of which sound 'within normal limits' for The Change. 

Update?