Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Iron supplements  (Read 2650 times)

annieb

Iron supplements
« on: March 21, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »

Has anyone tried taking liquid iron supplement to combat tiredness?  Years ago after a long illness my Mother gave me a bottle on what she called TONIC to help with the tiredness during my recovery and I'm pretty sure that was a fairly low dose  iron supplement. when I search on Tonic it  comes up with all these iron supplements
I know you have to be careful taking iron supplements but I do recall that this Tonic did the trick

Taz2

Re: Iron supplements
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

I remember having something similar but I think that nowadays, if your tiredness is due to anaemia, then it is far better to get this confirmed by a blood test and the appropriate level of iron supplement can be prescribed. You don't want your levels to get too high. Are you sure that your tiredness is due to lack of iron?

Taz x  :)

Halfpint

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »

I was very anaemic in each of my pregnancies during and after and had to take 3 iron tablets a day but bear in mind they then cause constipation which can be just as bothersome as the tiredness.

I have suffered a lot with fatigue  in the last year or so but I find if I have a few early nights (I normally never go to bed until midnight) this helps as does a bit of exercise in the fresh air (walking).

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »

Hi, as far as I know Floradix is a good liquid iron supplement available over the counter but if the tiredness continues perhaps it would be a good idea to ask your GP to check your haemoglobin and iron levels in case you need a course of iron for anaemia.

Rocket Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:28:16 PM »

Ferroglobin is far better than iron tablets :)  Try it!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

Floradix tonic is fab :). I use it regularly (I have posted about this !) - but not the RDA - for the reason Taz says - I wouldn't want levels to be too high - but since I still have a bleed and I also feel tired generally, and I've been on a diet too - I make sure I take a little extra every few days just to top me up.

Yes good idea to go to doc also re ongoing tiredness and they will probably do a full blood tests - for what it's worth - as mine were all normal and the only explanation I was given for the ongoing tiredness/muscle pain was refer for fibromyalgia - and I wasn't having any of that. In my case testosterone supplementation (on top of HRT) has helped hugely :)

Hurdity x

annieb

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.  I have suffered with low iron in the past and feel exactly the same now as I did then. I am getting a bit sick of going to the doctors what with one thing and another over the past few months so was trying a bit of self-diagnosis  ;)
Maybe with hindsight not the best idea and one of the symptoms I have had previously with low iron was a loss of hair (ie it coming out in handfuls!!) and that was when I still had a regular period. I haven't had a bleed for nearly 3 years and this time the hair is staying firmly where it should.
Perhaps another trip to the docs is called for just to be on the safe side x