Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: blood tests  (Read 2127 times)

jbean

blood tests
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »

Hi I am new to this site, I am 58 years old, but have been post menopausal for 11 years.  Had hysterectomy and prolapse repair five years ago, along with ovary removal three years ago. 

Although I have had thyroid levels plus hormone blood tests last year, which came back negative, I would like to have them done again privately. 

Can you tell me what sort of reading I should be looking for?  Bearing in mind my age etc, I would imagine the readings should be 0 for the lack of hormones anyway.  However, this may not be the case?

Thanks for listening.

Hurdity

Re: blood tests
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »

Hi jbean

:welcomemm:

You should be able to get a print-out of the results of your blood tests - this is your right if you ask at the reception.

I'm not sure what "negative" means!!  I presume it means normal  or no further action - which isn't very helpful!

Thyroid - this should be your TSH value. Is there a reason you asked for this? The "normal" range is up to 4.5 but some women experience symptoms when TSH is lower than the treatable value. Do you have other symptoms that suggest a thyroid condition eg unexplained weight gain, feeling cold, tiredness, dry skin and hair, constipation etc? Some of these can be caused by low oestrogen too.

re the other hormones - depends what they tested. Your FSH levels will have been high if you are post-menopausal but it will be interesting to know what your oestrogen levels were - as these will also be low - (definitely way more than zero though!) Both of these are expected in post-menopause - but if you went to the doctor with symptoms were you seeking treatment? As you have no ovaries then your testosterone levels will also be low but they probably would not have tested for this

If you can say why you want blood tests done or re-done perhaps we can help. You should not need to get these done privately - but I would defo get the last year's results.

If you are thinking about HRT there is no time to waste as you are beyond 10 years since menopause, but still under 60. If we can help in any way do please ask again.

Hurdity x

jbean

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

Hi jbean

You should be able to get a print-out of the results of your blood tests - this is your right if you ask at the reception.

I'm not sure what "negative" means!!  I presume it means normal  or no further action - which isn't very helpful!

Thyroid - this should be your TSH value. Is there a reason you asked for this? The "normal" range is up to 4.5 but some women experience symptoms when TSH is lower than the treatable value. Do you have other symptoms that suggest a thyroid condition eg unexplained weight gain, feeling cold, tiredness, dry skin and hair, constipation etc? Some of these can be caused by low oestrogen too.

re the other hormones - depends what they tested. Your FSH levels will have been high if you are post-menopausal but it will be interesting to know what your oestrogen levels were - as these will also be low - (definitely way more than zero though!) Both of these are expected in post-menopause - but if you went to the doctor with symptoms were you seeking treatment? As you have no ovaries then your testosterone levels will also be low but they probably would not have tested for this

If you can say why you want blood tests done or re-done perhaps we can help. You should not need to get these done privately - but I would defo get the last year's results.

If you are thinking about HRT there is no time to waste as you are beyond 10 years since menopause, but still under 60. If we can help in any way do please ask again.

Hurdity x

Hi jbean

Hurdity x

jbean

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

Thanks Hurdity,  I'll get a copy of the bloods and thyroid results from the GP. All the medical issues with regard to thyroid I have, the weight gain especially, that's why the thyroid tests have been done twice in the last six months. I agree about the oestrogen levels too, but I cant tolerate oestrogen creams, pessaries or orally. This is to do with my centralised pain due to pudendal neuralgia, which is a major topic in itself. What do you suggest about the blood tests?  Also the GP's tests for thyroid etc, is it any different from a private one ?Many thanks.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »

Hi again jbean

I am most definitely not an expert on thyroid - there are others on here who are though.

However all I know is the doc will do a standard TSH test as part of a general blood test. Now as I understand it, if you are above the "normal range" you will then get referred and at this point the doc may well request more detailed tests ie T4 and T3. I am not sure whether you can request these if you feel you have symptoms but are within the normal range? I presume that privately you can ask for anything, whatever your symptoms - ie if you want to know your T4 and T3 when this is not advised on NHS?

When you get the results of your blood tests - perhaps you can report on your estradiol and FSH as well as TSH? As you are well post-menopausal your oestrogen levels will be very low - which is, of course, normal. However if you have symptoms that are troubling you - either due to thyroid or low oestrogen or both, then treatment is appropriate eg HRT for low oestrogen symptoms - flushes, sweats, anxiety, low mood, headaches, palpitations, vaginal atrophy and a whole host of others. You won't need to wait for the blood tests to start HRT if you have symptoms though - only if your thyroid is also not working properly will the doc want to look at this before treating with thyroxine or referring you to an endocrinologist.

Hurdity x