Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Burning mouth syndrome out of nowhere  (Read 7050 times)

Mo13

Burning mouth syndrome out of nowhere
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:57 AM »

Anyone suffered or suffering from this? 

coldethyl

Re: Burning mouth syndrome out of nowhere
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »

Had it on and off for months at start of the perimenopause. It has improved a lot since I cut carbs and there is a known link with diabetes so maybe worth getting blood sugars checked out to rule out any cause. Often there's no reason for it - I found eating softer foods and drinking plenty of fluids helped.

Mo13

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »

Hi
thanks for that. Mine seems to have come on quite late and coincided with diagnosis of advanced gum disease. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »

I find that chocolate/butter causes it, I can no longer eat croissants  :(

Mo13

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:45:24 AM »

Butter would suggest a dairy issue, not sure about chocolate other than sugar.  Will try giving the dairy a rest and see what happens  Thanks for your reply.
M
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »

Don't want to sound dumb but what is burning mouth syndrome?

linz57

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »

Have you had your vitamin levels checked recently? A friend of mine started with burning mouth and found she was very low in vitD and B12. After a while on prescription strength supplements, the symptoms went.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »

It's when I eat something that I enjoyed for years but my mouth burns instantly.  No signs inside.  But I have to spit out whatever is causing the burning.  Bananas started it off yesterday. 

Thanks Linz57!

linz57

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

It might not be the cause but it's worth checking just in case. It's amazing how out of sorts a low level of a certain vitamin or mineral can make us.
I recently found out that hrt can deplete the body of magnesium so I began supplementing with that, not mega doses but enough to make a difference hopefully.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »

Linz57 - Where did you get that info. from, about HRT depleting the body of magnesium? 

Dana

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »

My mother suffered with a burning mouth/tongue which was associated with shingles. Do you have any other symptoms?

SadLynda

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:02:34 AM »

Hi
thanks for that. Mine seems to have come on quite late and coincided with diagnosis of advanced gum disease.

mine came on the same, when I was 'told' I had gum disease - I panicked and in my head all my teeth were going to fall out got myself in a dreadful state, the pain was dreadful I had all kinds of tests and nobody knew what it was, the dental specailist eventually claimed it was 'in my mind'.  In my case it was, I still get it when stressed but I know what it is now.  Also changed dentists to one who reassured me all was well with my teeth and gums now.

linz57

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »

Linz57 - Where did you get that info. from, about HRT depleting the body of magnesium?
I was looking into using magnesium to calm my anxiety a little and I googled some sites about the mineral....  sorry can't remember which ones now . Several of them mentioned hrt reducing levels of magnesium and B vitamins. Whether these sites are to be trusted I don't know ,but if you try googling something like " does hrt deplete the levels of magnesium in the body" you'll find a few pop up.

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »

I have this at the moment, tongue mainly and when I breath in through my mouth it's like I've been chewing gum or sucking a strong mint, I had it originally before starting Hrt 5 years ago then it went now it's back still on Hrt but maybe I need a higher dose am waiting my Gyne app on 9 May so I'll ask and get their opinion on whether they think it's hormone related.
The back of my head also feels strange like it's too heavy to stay on my neck and could topple off any moment hormones too maybe anyone else get this?

Ann x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »

Thanks Linz57 - I rarely go a 'google' about stuff  ::) preferring to visit a Pharmacist or GP …….. I do know that magnesium gives me the 'runs'  ::).

I had a banana last week and my gums/tongue began burning immediately.