Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: It'll be fine  (Read 9474 times)

babyjane

It'll be fine
« on: March 19, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »

I have just caught the story of the Yorkshire Rows on the BBC news channel - 4 middle aged mums aged between 45 and 51 who spent 10 weeks rowing across the atlantic and set a Guinness world record.

It was the best thing I have seen since Dickensian ended.  It was life affirming and inspirational and it has lifted my spirits no end today.  It just shows what can be achieved when you put your mind to something.  I needed that, thanks girls  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: It'll be fine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »

Glad you find it up-lifting I worry about why anyone would do it  ::) - same with Alex, Suzy etc. out in the Atlantic for Sport Relief  :-\ - miss out the middle man and throw a coin in the bucket  ;D

I hate being wet, cold, damp, uncomfy - I found Ellen McCarther inspiring at the time; and now Victoria Pendleton has swapped bicycle seat for a saddle …….

Would you ……….  :-\ ………..

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »

I like to think that maybe I could do something totally different to challenge myself.  Before my meno madness I took up and learned a new musical instrument and took an exam.  Can't see me doing something like that again just yet but maybe one day............

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »

Hi Sparky, I am glad someone else saw it.

As they were aged between 45 and 51 I would imagine there is some degree of hormonal involvement somewhere for at least one or two of them.

'It will be fine', and it was fine.  That's what stuck with me, and they kept going, not to win but just to finish no matter what Hurricane Alex and the barnacles threw at them. That bare back view of them rowing to Mamma Mia gave me a lump in my throat.

Thanks for your reply  :)

limpy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »

I didn't see the programme but I was/am so impressed with them doing it.
It will have been so so challenging and physically hard to do.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »

Limpy you can read about it online, Google 'Yorkshire Rows'  :)

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

No, that's the one I saw Sparkle  :)

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 10:43:27 PM »

They were on This Morning after their return. Good on them. Wish I had the courage to do something like that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:23:34 PM »

They really have to trust each other don't they!  I don't know anyone that I would want to spend that amount of time with other than Himself  ::).  I can quite happily swap 'courage' with being 'sensible'  ;D.  It's the same with Ben and James when they rowed the Atlantic  :o ………

I've never been competitive though, probably that makes the difference to whether I would consider such an idea.  I love reading the books after though ………