Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: struggling newbie ...  (Read 3286 times)

prUdence

struggling newbie ...
« on: March 16, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »

Hey,
I've been in menopause for a few years now. Various ailments - that I've managed fairly well. But I'm really struggling with generalised itchy skin and restless leg syndrome - both new developments. I can't take HRT due to familial Ovarian Cancer. I'm not supplementing with anything at the moment. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Cheers  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: struggling newbie ...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 01:03:18 PM »

:welcomemm:

GPs have new guidelines regarding HRT.  Quality of Life is important so discuss with a GP knowledgeable in menopause matters.  Unless patients are informed they cannot make healthy decisions, however, many GPs don't have any idea about how hormonal upheavals affects women.

As for restless legs I found that eating 1 large banana every day stopped symptoms within 5 nights. 

As oestrogen levels drop then the skin gets itchy.  It's both insteps with me, OK in the day but as I get into the bath each evening, they begin itching!

dazned

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

Hi   :welcomemm:

I took hrt for many years and my darling mum had ovarian cancer so it doesn't necessarily rule you out from taking it.
Hope you find a solution for you soon.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:21 AM »

Hi PrUdence

:welcomemm:

Hurdity x

Ann54

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »

Hi, I am new here too, I am 7 years post menopause and have just noticed in the last month pain in my right shoulder, upper arm and even in my lower arm at times. No injury that I can remember. Some days the pain even radiates into my right breast. Tylenol doesn't seem to help much. I do work at a computer a lot and wonder if that has anything to do with the pain. Just wanted to let you know I have a similar situation, but no answer why. Ann

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 05:02:31 AM »

Hello Prudence and Ann!

Prudence, there are other medications for restless leg syndrome. Have you asked your doctor if those could help? And the itchy skin, yes, I have always had a tendency toward itchy dry skin. At its worst I slather on baby oil when I'm still wet in the shower. It doesn't completely resolve it but makes me feel like I'm doing something for it.

Ann, there have been some threads in the forum recently about shoulder pain. I think it's a common problem. I had a round of it a couple years ago, and it did resolve itself after several weeks to a few months. I can't recall exactly. Have you had it checked out by a doctor?

Halfpint

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »

Hi Ann,
I have a very similar complaint. Look up 'ulnar nerve entrapment'. I spend a long time on my laptop leaning on my elbow. I also work at a computer and am always leaning on my elbows on my desk. I too get the pain in my breast with it. I think it's all muscular but I have found some exercises on youtube to stretch the nerve and it does work.
Hi Lizab,
My son has always had very dry skin on his upper arms and legs. I have often put oil on it but having recently taken him to the Dr about another complaint, I mentioned his skin and she said 'it's eczcema'. I said 'I've been putting oil on it' and she said 'I wouldn't put oil on it' (she didn't say why!) and prescribed him some cream. She did  say that showers make eczema patients itch. The cream she gave him you are supposed to apply before a shower. Also, not supposed to have the water too  hot.

Lizab

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:21 PM »

Good point, Halfpint! I do have some eczema on my hands, which I have to use a cream for, oily products for sure make the eczema worse. But I was referring to general dry itchy skin that I have in the winter. I also have itchiness at night high on my chest that I blame on hormones, and nothing seems to help that. It seems to come from under the skin.

Halfpint

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:36:55 PM »

Lizab, I'm currently suffering with an itchiness high on my chest (and behind my ear!). I started to think it was a nervous thing as it seems worse when I'm stressed. Over the easter break it has been OK but now I'm stressing about things again and it's started itching again but mine looks a bit like eczema, I've been putting my sons eczema cream on it!