Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Macafem, a natural aid for Menopausal Symptoms  (Read 29329 times)

Chi chi

Re: Has anyone tried Macafem, a natural aid for Menopausal Symptoms
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »

Which brand do you use or recommend dogdoc?

dogdoc

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

I don't know enough to recommend any of them. I take NOW brand because it was reasonably priced, I can buy it at a supplement store nearby and the ladies on Amazon seemed to like it lol.

I have read that pre-gelatinized is better and that raw maca can cause gi distress in some people. I've had no side effects that i'm aware of.

Chi chi

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »

Thanks, I've been looking around but can't find what the suggested dose is? There's lots to choose from but they're all different strength mg's  ???

dogdoc

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »

Most of the ones I see are 500 mg. I've read doses ranging from 1 -3 GRAMS per day, but most seem to recommend around 1.5grams ( or three 500mg capsules) per day. I am sensitive to everything so I started low at 500mg once daily in the morning. I noticed significant changes in mood, heat, and many peri symptoms at this dose ( coincidence?)..no idea.

I increased to 2 500mg capsules about a month or so ago. I cannot say I've noticed further increased improvement over the 500mg dosage. My husband is also taking it. It takes 1000mg once daily and has also noticed an increase in his engergy/stamina and a reduced stress level.

Interesting stuff. Wish they knew more.

Chi chi

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »

Thanks dogdoc  :) I think I'll start low and build up if I need to

Dana

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »

Here's that paper that mentions estrogen and maca in the same breath.  Not exactly an endorsement for their use but they're at least thinking about it. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25668332

Ps. Results still out for my post meno mom.  Insomnia is really her only main issue wrt no hrt so we shall see.  If she suddenly states sleeping I'll let you all know.  Lol.

Thanks for that. I guess it's just one of those things that you have to try for yourself to see. I'm just about to turn 57, so I'm probably not going to do anything about decreasing my estro dose for at least 2-3 years. By that time maybe there might be some more information available.

As much as I love estrogen, and all its benefits, I don't love taking prog or having periods, and at the moment that's the only routine that seems to work for me. I would love to work out something where I could have all the relief of no hot flushes or insomnia, but also no periods.

Jaki T

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »

Wow, that's great Charlotte. Weirdly I just came across this product online last night! I'd never heard of it before ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 09:00:39 AM »

Macafem is a food supplement which has been used for years in men and women apparently to improve sexual performance ::).

There is limited research as to its effectiveness in menopause though.

Here are some links:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/07/maca-powder-health-benefits-risks_n_6678142.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21840656
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24931003
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20691074
http://www.webmd.boots.com/vitamins-and-minerals/maca
http://www.maca.co.uk/maca-lepidium-meyenii/scientific-research-on-maca.html

Whilst I am pleased to hear your hot flushes have reduced charlottecl, it is very unlikely to be due to the Maca as nothing usually works that fast - to eliminate them completely, although some women report a marked decrease quite quickly using proven treatments such as HRT.

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence from individuals cannot tell you whether a substance has a chance of being effective or not - as this can only be demonstrated through placebo controlled trials. I suggest you don't waste your money Jaki T!!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »

Are you a rep for the company donnaharrison - most of your few posts over the last few years seem to be trying to urge others to use this stuff, and this particular brand? I appreciate you are enthusiastic about something that seems to work for you but the scientific evidence is inconclusive as seen from my links. You can also buy Maca capsules from Holland and Barret and also Maca powder (the food supplement) from various sources. Personally I would look for better ways to boost vitamin intake through dietary means rather than expensive food supplements.  Also one needs to be specific as to what symptom(s) one is trying to address. Is it hot flushes? Vitamin deficiency? Or what? As I said before anecdotal evidence ("it worked for me") does not provide sufficient criteria for someone to decide whether or not to try something....

Hurdity x

Jaki T

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »

I've actually had Maca powder and that did nothing for me - I was wondering if Macafem came from the same source. Maca is promoted as one of those super foods. The taste of the powder was so disgusting though I couldn't stick at it long enough to draw any conclusions  :-X 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:48:38 PM by Jaki T »

breeze

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 08:57:59 AM »

Hurdity, I think your comments were a little strong.  'It worked for me', seem to be the main sentiment from donnaharrisons post.

This is the 'alternative' section after all.  People are free to make their own choices, and recommendation is not the same as promotion. ;)

ancient runner

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

Have to say I have also thought donnaharrison's posts had the feel of advertorial about them. Not being rude, but unlike most on here she's using a "real" name (most of us hide behind nicknames), only really posts about macafem and it does read like an advert each time. I could be wrong but that's how I read her words. Dogdoc's posts on this (and all else!) are completely different (and I always enjoy reading what she has to say).

breeze

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »

Well donnaharrison appears to have gone.  In a way I hope you were right about her, otherwise someone has been upset and left.

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »

Hi breeze - when someone leaves of their own volition they don't just disappear - their name goes black. If someone disappears completely it means that they and all their posts have been removed by the moderator for whatever reason. Someone must have beaten me to it (maybe Emma noticed too) because I was thinking of contacting Emma to ask if this poster was legit because it has been going on for two years - only rarely but nevertheless almost all posts promoted this particular product! Also looks like there were two of them at it - someone called charlotte as there is reference to her too in a post?

By the way - I make no apology whatsoever for what I said - in fact I have been very restrained since what I wrote yesterday I had been thinking since that member first joined!!!! I am clearly not the only one to think this - but just not worried about saying it. Also the topic was not originally in the alternatives section - it was moved there by Emma, and these posts have been on other sections too. Not that the location of the post makes a difference as to whether to respond or not! I agree people need to make their own choices - but the crucial thing is an informed choice, of which scientific evidence has to be the starting point - before personal (or commercial) recommendation.

I've been on this forum long enough to have seen all sorts of members joining for all sorts of reasons and posting all sorts of things including those with commercial interests.  Commercial links and excessive promotion of products and are forbidden anyway!

Hurdity x

breeze

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »

Gosh, it's all a bit 'cloak and dagger'.  I'd better watch what I post then ;D
Pages: 1 [2]