Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Pregnenolone  (Read 837 times)

EleanorB

Pregnenolone
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:54:58 AM »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone's currently using it or had past experience with it? I can't tolerate hrt (migraine issues) but just read about this, specifically with regard to memory/cognition problems. Desperate for relief so thinking of giving it a try.

Hurdity

Re: Pregnenolone
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »

I'm not sure of the rationale behind taking this? It is a precursor in steroid metabolism and specifically progesterone but don't have any information about what happens if you take in larger quantities of it. I would have thought you will be making it anyway from cholesterol? Do you have any info ( apart from companies selling it!)?

Re HRT - have you tried transdermal oestrogen etc which is advised for those with migraines - depending on the trigger for your migraines?

Hurdity x

EleanorB

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Would have to have another look at what I read about it. Just jumped out at me as I saw a small amount of good feedback from some people who had tried it. in fact one woman on here said HRT hadn't worked for her but this did. I searched but there wasn't a great deal.

HRT is a no go I think. I have to take combined as I have endo -  tried transdermal oestrogen with vaginal progesterone. Next steps would be the mirena but the side effects of my first attempt of the above combo were so violent I am not prepared to put something even semi-permanent in. My migraine problem is long standing and chronic and currently sees me unable to work due to menopause exacerbating it, I can't afford for it to get any worse. 

RubyLove

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »

Hi Eleanor, I saw you mentioned this, did some research and decided to buy some. It's mentioned in a couple of books I've been reading and also prescribed by the Marion Gluck menopause clinic in London. I've been taking 30mg transdermally for 4 weeks. I do feel a little clearer- headed, but it could be placebo affect. It certainly isn't giving me any side effects. I showed it to my GP who has a special interest in menopause and she thinks it looks positive. I also asked her opinion of DHEA and she said to toss that in the bin. I am going to buy a second lot when the first one runs out to give it 3 months. So far, so good.