Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Periods - That Final Year Records To Share Anyone?  (Read 4872 times)

Machair

Periods - That Final Year Records To Share Anyone?
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »

I was wondering if anyone post menopausal could share their last year of periods details. So frequency, duration, colour, amount of flow, spotting episodes etc. So this would apply to those not on HRT, but what naturally happened at the end to those going without hormonal supplementation, so that others could benefit and know what to expect. I think this would be really helpful, as although we are all different, to my knowledge this has not been done in this site, and it would benefit many in this position either now or in the future.

I was speaking to a friend the other day who was really worried as her periods had tailed off to very light spotting and brown not red. The sort of thing that can be managed with a panty liner. When I told her I had that too she was so relieved as suddenly she felt normal. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Periods - That Final Year Records To Share Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

Your friend is probably 'within normal limits'.

Good topic.  I had very painful, heavy, clotty periods from age 13 until I began to take The Pill aged 17.  For the next 11 years.  I was sterilised and stopped taking The Pill.  In my mid-30s I had really bad PMT so was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.

End of periods crept up on me.  At the time I was caring for several aged/ill pets so my time and energy was taken up.  So by 2000 my periods became intermittent.  No pain >phew<.  Lighter flow. Sometimes brown discharge through to a 'normal' red bleed.  Over the next couple of years they become more intermittent with months between each.  Such a relief, I had my last bleed in 2002. Can't remember when, May I think  :-\.  Will have to work out what age I was as I can't remember  ::)

At that point I hadn't had any HRT.  I had undergone radiation treatment in the 1990s.  But that didn't impact.  Nor did I put on weight. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »

Hi Machair - although I started HRT before finishing my periods - I must have been close to the end  - I might have even had my last natural period. During that last year I only had one or it could have been two - I started HRT 5 months since my previous one and before that I can't remember when the previous one was - a few months previously. Neither were anything to remember - very very light.

During the years leading up to this and from when I skipped periods - I never ever worried about any of the bleeding - whatever it was like including when they used to be really heavy and I passed big clots. As far as I was concerned it was just what happened. I certainly would never worry about light brown staining - that is a sure sign ovaries are packing up and things are tailing off! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »

It never crossed my mind that it was abnormal, what ever happened it was normal for me.

I was 49 when I had my last bleed.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »

I was a bit like that in my early 30's. I'd even had periods like that in my 20's, but as I was so irregular GP was never bothered.  However, in my 20's, every 2 or 3 months I was in agony & had a proper period. Had our daughter at 24 and things settled slightly. Then went haywire again couple of years later. Turned out I wasn't ovulating. So needed treatment for infertility. Lost one  to an ectopic pregnancy. Fell pregnant again with son. Couple of years later everything went haywire again. Lots of pain & brown spotting, but not much else. Ended up with hysterectomy as I was found to have ovarian cysts & fibroids. Fortunately we didn't want any more children.

Machair

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »

Thank you so much ladies - I really appreciate your thoughts. I hope I can stick around when I am post to help others, as sadly many leave the forum when they feel better and are post, which means there is little support from experienced ladies in their later years. I feel this is what is really lacking here, as the support from this angle is so vital, as well as the wonderful support of others going through the process.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:43:13 AM »

Thanks Machair for starting this thread, I've been searching for similar without success.

I'm 'old' and still having menstrual cycles and therefore don't fit 'the norm' which plenty of websites fully describe.  I'm totally aware that we are all very different, with individual experiences of peri/menopause, and that it is impossible to gauge when it will finally come. However, by reading other women's experiences it can make you feel less 'abnormal'.

I've resigned myself to live day to day and just accept whatever it brings but I have to say, optimism convinces me each period will be my last so it's a blow when another one sneaks in.

Great thread, it would be brilliant if we could keep it going!

Machair

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »

I agree Elizabethrose- I hope we get some more input into this thread from ladies who are the other side. Maybe they don't post here any more as they are now no longer wondering what will happen next. Anyone else want to share with us their last few period notes? I think it would be so helpful to many of us still chugging on!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

I thought you'd started a new thread Machair and was rather puzzled when I saw I'd contributed. It was a bad night and the brain is befuddled!

I will have really comprehensive notes to pass on, just need to get through now!

Hope you're feeling well. x

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »

I was wondering if anyone post menopausal could share their last year of periods details. So frequency, duration, colour, amount of flow, spotting episodes etc. So this would apply to those not on HRT, but what naturally happened at the end to those going without hormonal supplementation, so that others could benefit and know what to expect. I think this would be really helpful, as although we are all different, to my knowledge this has not been done in this site, and it would benefit many in this position either now or in the future.

I was speaking to a friend the other day who was really worried as her periods had tailed off to very light spotting and brown not red. The sort of thing that can be managed with a panty liner. When I told her I had that too she was so relieved as suddenly she felt normal.
From about early 2009 my periods started to become much lighter. Only lasted 2 to 3 days max. Then the frequency reduced until I had them 7 to 8 months apart and they barely lasted 1 to 2 days. Finally my last one was Feb 2014.  Nothing since.

Lizab

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »

Around 2010 my nearly always exactly 28 day cycle shortened to 19 to 21 days. I mentioned it at my annual exam in 2011 and my gynecologist at the time suggested I watch it a few months and if it continued to be short we should look for a problem. I was pregnant a few months later, delivered in 2012, and normal, 28 day periods returned at the end of 2012. In 2013 I experienced very heavy, clotty and prolonged periods all summer, became anemic, took iron, returned to normal for the winter.  In 2014 again had heavy, clotty periods and prolonged spotting for the summer, anemia again, skipped periods for 3 months in the fall then returned to normal again for the winter. 2015, cycle began lengthening to 5-6 weeks for a few cycles, then missed 4 months. Tested FSH over 100, then had a period. Started cyclical HRT at the end of 2015. I'm not sure if I would have had more periods or not. The natural periods I had in 2015 were much lighter, like pantiliners the whole time and maybe 1 or 2 tampons) and only lasted a few days.

Charys

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »

Another very interesting old thread....

I suspect I've now missed a cycle, seeing as its day 47...but very confused  :o. I had 2 years of what I would deem 'subtle changes' (stopping and starting a little, heavier a bit, sweating before flow, some with breast pain some without - just general small changes that I could perceive) had 4-5 years of gradually shortening heavier cycles and now a full year of major irregularity late 2017-persent. The major irregularity  has had most things thrown into the mix; 40 day cycles, 18 day cycles, brown blood for some days in the period, bleeding for 3 weeks or 3 days, stop start, spots, horrendous anxiety and mood issues, vaginal dryness...etc.

Now, to my surprises....as yet nothing, well a spot at day 29 but nothing more......I can and will update this thread as I go along as I have my fingers firmly crossed that I am entering the late stages. It might help others to read it, just as it has me to read some answers from years ago.

Likewise, if anyone still around is able to add here to describe their last year, that would be hugely appreciated. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:13:40 PM by Charys »

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »

Another very interesting old thread....

I suspect I've now missed a cycle, seeing as its day 47...but very confused  :o. I had 2 years of what I would deem 'subtle changes' (stopping and starting a little, heavier a bit, sweating before flow, some with breast pain some without - just general small changes that I could perceive) had 4-5 years of gradually shortening heavier cycles and now a full year of major irregularity late 2017-persent. The major irregularity  has had most things thrown into the mix; 40 day cycles, 18 day cycles, brown blood for some days in the period, bleeding for 3 weeks or 3 days, stop start, spots, horrendous anxiety and mood issues, vaginal dryness...etc.

Now, to my surprises....as yet nothing, well a spot at day 29 but nothing more......I can and will update this thread as I go along as I have my fingers firmly crossed that I am entering the late stages. It might help others to read it, just as it has me to read some answers from years ago.

Likewise, if anyone still around is able to add here to describe their last year, that would be hugely appreciated.
Mine started getting shorter and much lighter from about 2009 until 2012. Instead of lasting 6 days, they only lasted 2-3 days with 1 heavy day. By 2013 they had become much less frequent ( 7 month gap at least once). There was just 1 which lasted a fortnight and I was about to go to the GP when it stopped. Never happened again. I finally reached menopause ( 1 year without any)  4 or 5 years ago (approx. age 50 or 51).

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »

It's The Change - our bodies alter habits  ::)

Charys

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »

Thanks Katejo! So, you were 'bang on average' for your cessation.

So, CLKD, would you possibly agree with my surmising that I am now entering the 'late stage' of the 'body altering habits'?  ;D
Pages: [1] 2