Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Looking *older* than your age?  (Read 19227 times)

Katejo

Re: Looking *older* than your age?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:38 PM »

I'm 53 tomorrow. Most people I know still say that I look a bit younger than I am but I do notice more now that younger people offer me seats on trains  ;D  I almost always say 'No thanks' and feel embarrassed.

Night_Owl

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 06:12:45 PM »

It seems since meno I've rapidly developed a lot of the ailments/conditions that my mother had (she had lifelong poor health).

Do you think that once meno takes a lhold with the resulting loss of hormone profile that true genetics kick in -  and some people just happen to have a much better deal in terms of the 'raw materials' they've inherited?  Without estrogen, is one stripped down to basics.  I know that estrogen has a protective effect on female pattern hair loss and migraine.  Meno seems to speed up things.  Obviously aging happens for men, but is it more gradual, less extreme, ie. they don't suddenly overnight lose testosterone production ...

Winterose

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

You are right about aging coming in waves, just noticed yesterday age spots all over my chest, I swear they weren't there last week. All we can do is dress in reasonably good clothes and keep smiling, even the ladies I know who have help with botox etc dont look any younger just a bit different or worst case a bit odd.

babyjane

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »

I agree, I remember noticing Madonna's hands in a photo some time ago and thinking how they belied the rest of her.

I have always been fanatical about caring for my hands and nails and they go with the rest of me.  I have not paid such good attention to my feet however  ::)

scriv

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »

'I have very very reactive skin so hair removal cream made me look like a burns victim for a week as did waxing. So it was the trusty old shaver.  Recently tried a test patch for laser hair removal and thankfully they did it under my chin as the area went bright red like a traffic light for 4 hrs afterwards so they refused to do it obviously.'

Countrybumpkin and Dorothy - I'm the same. I have tried everyone of the methods and every single one other than my little Agilite aka Venus (Gillette) disposable shaver with Aloe Vera causes a reaction of some kind. So for me there is no alternative, but to feel like an old man every day lol. At least it is nice to know there are other 'old men' out there. But it is the only thing that works for me.

This problem started with me at my early menopause which was at the same time as I became hypothyroid.

Ah well, tra la la ----- on we go.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:59:00 AM by scriv »

Night_Owl

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »

Mainly I tweezer hairs, using a small, circular 15 times magnifier mirror - plus a JML Beauty Wand mini razor on chin, tash and cheek down. I have to keep on top of things - nobody wants that 'facial hair glinting in the sunlight' look.

I'm always amazed at how quickly the long black hairs grow, overnight they've appeared.  Wish the hair on top of my head would do that!

Another lovely aspect that seems to appear overnight - the lines above my mouth. 

Dulciana

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »

My sister was giving a piano lesson to a small boy, a while ago.  She was talking to him about something very important and he was watching her intently as she spoke.  Then she stopped talking for a second, to write something in his notebook, and he said to her, "Why is your hair grey?"    Apparently it made her feel so old that she went and got her hair coloured the very next day!   

babyjane

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »

If you shave the cheek down does it grow thicker or darker.  I am scared to start in case it gets worse and I end up having to shave every day  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »

Yep.  Himself tells me that he doesn't notice the hairs down the cheeks although he did pull a black tuff hair out yesterday  :o.  If I see a black hair under the surface of the skin in the morning, by evening it's long enough to tug out.

How rude  :D ………. he would have got a clip from me …….. I remember talking to my late Aunt when I was about 8 asking why she had thick hairs under her chin: she told me 'old age'.  She wasn't much older than 40. 

Dulciana

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

How rude  :D ………. he would have got a clip from me …….. I remember talking to my late Aunt when I was about 8 asking why she had thick hairs under her chin: she told me 'old age'.  She wasn't much older than 40.

I think he was only about 6, CLKD - they're very straightforward at that age!   My sister didn't find him rude - he simply gave her a wake-up call!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:58:23 PM by Dulciana »

Dulciana

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »

Absolutely   :)

Dulciana

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »

You know, I think one of the best "age-reversing" treatments is to be really happy within yourself.  That's why I place an awful lot of importance on seeking personal fulfillment. 

That, coupled with a really good face cream!  ;D

D.

scriv

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:18 PM »

I think you are absolutely right, Dulciana.  :)

babyjane

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »

Hubby had the chancellor's budget speech on low in the background and I couldn't help noticing Theresa May.  Grey shapeless hair, a middle aged 'lived in' face with discreet make up and a plunging decolletage. She looked really badly put together and made me realise we middle agers need to be so careful of the overall appearance and not just part of it.  Grey hair is fine and make up is a personal choice, but I don't believe you ought to wear an orange plunging top unless you have smooth skin and no sagginess  ::)

coldethyl

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »

It is hard sometimes to dress appropriately. Having lost a lot of weight( though still a bit to go) I find myself wondering what to wear that flatters my thinner but older body and often think I've gone a bit mutton dressed as lamb as being short I prefer shorter skirts otherwise I look even shorter and swamped. I also still have long hair and wonder if I should go shorter as I'm 50 but it's a big call as it'll never grow again with the meno thinning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4