Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hair loss, specifically eyebrows  (Read 22070 times)

kew

hair loss, specifically eyebrows
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »

I'm about two years post meno and over the last year I've noticed that I've been gradually losing my eyebrows.  I've never plucked my eyebrows and am quite fair so they go quite blonde in summer, and I do have them dyed just to give them a bit of colour. 

Initially I went to the Dr who did blood tests for thyroid as this can also be a reason for hair loss, but bloods came back fine.

I know that menopause can cause hair loss for some and have put it down to that.  Just three weeks into hrt patches and doing well but just wonder does hrt reverse this at all?  Anybody had any experiences at all?

Also I'm considering having micro blading (eyebrow tattoo) - anybody had that done, and were you please with the effect.

countrybumpkin

Re: hair loss, specifically eyebrows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:07:38 AM »

I have had underactive thyroid for over 30 years but always frequently tested and within range but I also noticed when I hit peri meno that I started to lose the hairs from only my left eyebrow :o my right on has stayed same.  I also get very thick very long brow hairs that I have to pull out as they keep growing until the curve upwards ;D  plus that eyebrow area also grows eyebrow hairs almost down to my eyelid but not the other one.
The girl who threads my eyebrows for me says this is very common once in meno and she sees it alot and often the left one only which is really weird.  I use an eyebrow pencil to shade in the left one.

Not sure I would be brave enough to have it tattoed though.

N

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »

My thyroid levels are supposedly fine but I've noticed thinning eyebrows these last 18 months, especially the left one. My hair has also thinned a lot on my head and elsewhere but sadly not on my bleeding legs which still look like King Kong.

kew

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »

Thanks Ladies,
The hair loss is quite random, inside edge for the right eye and middle of the eyebrow for the left eye.  Regrowth is also quite random but the hair is much darker and courser.  Its almost like for every 5 fair hairs that disappear I'm getting one dark one returning, so the eyebrow dying has had to stop as it just looks a bit patchy. 

I'm not brave enough to have the eyebrow tattooing myself, which is why I asked the question. 

Was secretly hoping that the HRT might have an effect on them

Am guessing it might just be genetics, as the hair on my legs is pretty much disappearing - there is a silver lining after all!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:39:00 PM by kew »

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »

in my 30 years hypothyroid I have lost the outer third of both my eyebrows but it doesn't bother me.  It doesn't really show behind my glasses.

Since menopause I have lost over 50% of my underarm, leg and pubic hair and my head hair takes less than 5 minutes to dry now as opposed to the 20 minutes it used to take.

Nature is very kindly compensating me though for this hair loss by giving me some extra on my chin and face!  :o

coldethyl

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »

Yes nature is bountiful. I've dark hairs on my chin and was horrified the other week when I tried to wipe away something off my top lip only to find it permanently attached!!

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »

Hello Kew.

My eyebrow hairs have changed and though generally sparse I've noticed long curly hairs as well, I've seen them described as 'fronds'. I can do the hairy legs as well but  less underarm and pubic about the same but going grey!
Irritatingly I still have to pluck my mono brow which is amazing as I've been ripping out those hairs since the age of fourteen but still they come back. The chin and upper lip now need daily attention. On the plus side the hair on my head is thicker and shinier than it's ever been and I'm sure HRT has helped that.
All of the above confirms to me that hormones have a huge impact on our appearance and as long as I can avoid male pattern baldness I'll be happy!

Take care ladies.

K.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:32:11 PM »

I might have the disappearing edges of my eyebrows but oh boy everywhere else makes me gorilla woman ;D I was black haired which is about the worst colour to be as this seems to go hand in hand with excess body hair.  My poor hairdresser has to shave my neck as I have an inverted bob so the back is short and the front long and its so embarrasing when she has to shave my neck but I also have a widows peak at the front so a very low hairline and not much forehead. The only upside is I have very very thick head hair.

I love the jet black very thick patches of leg hair ::)  If I let nature takes its course I could make lots of money as the fully bearded lady as well.  :o

marras

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »

Hi Kew, yes, I've had my eyebrows tattood, best thing I've ever done. Frames my face and people say I look younger. Result! Go for it. Doesn't hurt much but do some research to get the best person to do it for you. Recommendation is the best.

kew

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »

Thanks Marras, am going to give them a few more months to see if they grow, and then I might give it a go. ;D

Night_Owl

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Kew, I'm losing my eyebrows too (as well as my hair, particularly scalp hair due to Female Pattern Hair Loss) - I dye them at home every few weeks with Eylure Dybrow - makes a huge difference.

A friend had her eyebrows tattooed and was initially thrilled - but was dismayed to find that they faded quite quickly - so def agree with what Marras says about researching to get the best recommendation.

In my experience, I have not found HRT to halt or reverse hair loss - but we're all different (and I have a particular hair loss condition) - other women report the opposite, so there is hope.

ellie

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »

Any hair restoration products are expensive and also stop working when you stop using them , unless you have hair transplanted........Have you used any of the fibre eyebrow pencils?  My eyebrows are very thin and patchy, but the fibre eye pencils make them look thick and natural......Not sure if I am allowed to name the brand?

kew

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:08 AM »

Do you have a brand name ellie as I will look out for it?

ellie

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »

I use Clinique. You will find it stays put all day, and go for a lighter shade than normal, it will look very natural....I am post menapause and not now on HRT, so my eyebrows are very sparse. The Clinique makes them look thick and natural......

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »

My thyroid came back clear

My left eyebrow is quite patchy, both have thinned, particarly on outer 1/3

Thinning scalp hair
Pubic hair still grows but leg hair is slow growing as is underarm hair
Thinning eye lashes

Annie x
Pages: [1] 2