Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and PMS  (Read 2461 times)

vickyd

HRT and PMS
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »

Hi,
My doctor has confirmed that I am peri-menopausal and has advised I start HRT, my only concern about this is the PMS side effects from the progesterone. I am already extremely irritable & anxious before and during my period, don't want it to be any worse!
Anyone have experience of this that can offer some help?

Trufflecat

Re: HRT and PMS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »

I am using HRT purely because of pms. I am perimenopausal. I have tried several different regeimes over the last 9 months with tweaking of doses to get it right. Tricky because different drugs seem to suit different women. Apart from the blips, when it became apparent that something needed altering, there have been some real improvements to my PMS, to the extent that I am soldiering on and determined to get it right.  Some things may make it worse and others better.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM vickyd
Many women find they are very anxious about using HRT and reading some of the posts on this site it's easy to believe that you will have problems.  You must bare in mind that it tends to be the women who have problems that end up posting on this site and in fact there are a big proportion of women who use HRT with no real problems. It is quite normal to experience PMT around our periods - a women is very lucky if she doesn't - and it is usual to experience some PMT a day or so before the withdrawal bleeds starts when on HRT.  However, it is important not to expect to get severe PMT and in fact you may find this will be reduced over the first 3-6 months as the body settles and the hormones do their magic.  PMT tends to increase when in the peri stage so HRT can actually reduce this.
I would recommend you try an HRT that has a kinder progesterone and as you are in peri meno Femoston Sequi 1/10 would be a good one to try first. Unfortunately the peri meno stage is tricky because your own hormones will be fluctuation in the background - particularly at first - so this will have an effect on mood but should level out as you get deeper into menopause. 
It is well worth giving HRT a go - don't expect problems with the progesterone, just enjoy how good you feel most of the time - many women actually feel better on the progesterone phase!!!!!. I must stress that HRT is not a cure all and one really can't expect to feel good every day.
Keep posting  DG xxx

Trufflecat - what a lovely positive post - really helpful for vickyd. xxx

vickyd

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:43 PM »

Thank you for your advice ladies, very helpful x