Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Day 29 of patches  (Read 6516 times)

Wantmylifeback

Day 29 of patches
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »

Hi everyone

Feeling very low and disappointed, I have be on Estraderm patches for nearly a month now and was encouraged by the first 3 weeks - I had regained some clarity of mind with life and work feeling manageable for the first time in nearly 18 months, but at the end of last week the dreaded anxiety returned, along with the slump in energy and today everything has seemed overwhelming. This is nothing I haven't experienced before, but I just feel so upset as I thought everything was going well for me!! As I have mentioned before my GP put me on the lowest doze MX 25, so does this mean I'm not getting enough oestrogen to balance out this point in my cycle? I get very confused with the whole peri thing despite having read and re-read the articles.

Also I had bloods done 2 weeks ago and the results show that my thyroid is borderline? Whatever that means and so is my glucose? I have been asked to do fasting bloods again in three months time! What do I do? Do I contact my GP tomorrow or do I wait and continue with the patches at this dose for 3 months?

Any advice/guidance would be very much appreciated

WMLB 😓

coldethyl

Re: Day 29 of patches
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »

Can't help you with the HRT , but having borderline glucose means that you are likely to be in what they now call prediabetic range. If memory serves that's an HbA1c of 5.9 to 6.4 if that is the test they ran, which looks at your glycated haemoglobin over three months. What this means is that without doing something to implement dietary changes , that you may well end up with full blown diabetes in the future. It is possible to pull back from this so it is probably a good idea to have a chat with your GP. If you are on statins, they can raise blood sugar levels so that is something to ask about as well if it applies. I'd be inclined to ask what your level was, what test they ran ( ie was it just a fasting glucose or an HbA1c) and to start cutting down on your carbohydrate intake now rather than waiting another three months.
I'm guessing a borderline thyroid test means you also need to have a chat with them about possible thyroid medication should the next test be borderline as well.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »

Hello

Do you also take progesterone as part of your HRT? Progesterone can cause anxiety and depression.

When I used Estradot 50mg patches I would typically get a good 2.5 weeks per month, but symptoms always came back for 7-10 days. But these 'bad' days were erratic and not necessarily always at the same time each month which was confusing.

25mg patches are very low. My consultant was dismissive of their ability to alleviate my mood swings and anxiety. My GP started me on 25mg, but after 6 weeks on them I was no better. So my consultant upped me to 50mg.

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »

Hi ladies,

GypsyRoseLee - I have a mirena coil so I don't need to take progesterone, these slumps are so difficult when things have been going so well.

Catspelle

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »

Hi it might be you need yo get your dose increased to 50 mg. you body will have stabilised your oestrogen levels now. Speak to your GP. If you had a surgical menopause you should have started on 50 anyway. Let us know how you get on. I'm only a few days into estraderm patches having hanged from oral. The first one came off! X

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »

Hi Catspelle and others

I am nearing 3 months on the Estraderm MX 25 and although I have felt marginally better, I am still having slumps around day 27 of my cycle and then onwards for 7-10 days.  I am due to see my GP on Monday for a review, should I be asking for her to increase my dose?  Also I am getting increasingly uncomfortable down below with increased dryness, what can I ask for to help with this?

Just to remind you all I will be only 41 on 14th of March and have been experiencing peri for 2 years now!

Any advice to take with me would be greatly received.

WMLB

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »

Hi Wantmylifeback

I would agree - ask to increase the dose  - if your lows are worse than normal pms for you and your cycle. As for "down below" sounds like you need vaginal oestrogen too and this is a sure sign that you are becoming deficient. You will be offered Vagifem or Oveston or estriol cream - the different preparations are here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Note what it says at the beginning and print it out in case your doc tries to suggest otherwise ie some women need local oestrogen as well as systemic HRT - so best to treat it before it gets really bad. You are very young so this is especially important to keep your oestrogen levels up.

I missed this thread earlier but you mention borderline thyroid - please ask for your readings (get a print-out of your blood test results) because the cut off point is almost arbitrary ie some women do not feel well even when TSH is below the treatable range. Do you have any other symptons of thyroid deficiency - eg weight gain, fatigue, feeling the cold etc?

As coldethyl says - try to cut down on all carbs/sugar and eat more protein instead - to regulate your blood sugar.

Hurdity x

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for feedback, you did say when I was first put on the dose I am currently taking that it would probably not be enough.  With regards to other thyroid symptoms, I have gained a little weight recently but nothing major, it is mostly around my belly, but I needed to gain weight as I was very thin due to extreme anxiety.  I do get very tired but don't feel the cold so much...

I am trying to maintain a good exercise program -  swimming 2 or 3 times a week, cycling classes twice a week and good walk everyday.  I have always been very fit and healthy and sit with a resting heartbeat of around 57.  I find my blood pressure is always low, sometimes to the extent that I get very dizzy when I stand up.

WMLB x