Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT, low mood and fluoxetine help  (Read 6757 times)

Twiglet58

HRT, low mood and fluoxetine help
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »

Hello I'm new on here. I'm peri menopausal at aged 52. I've just stopped taking Evorel Sequi as I'm struggling to cope with everyday life and thought it was a contributing factor. Have been to GP today and he has prescribed fluoxetine-had anyone else been in this situation, I'm worried generally that I'll get addicted to antidepressants-any advice would be gratefully received many thanks in advance  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT, low mood and fluoxetine help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »

:welcomemm:

GPs have been advised not to prescribe anti-depressant medication as a first line.  ADs are not addictive although some do require weaning off.  I've been on them since 1989. 

Think about why you went on the medication initially, how long you took it for and why you stopped without asking your GP?  Take a list to your Practice Nurse of your current symptoms.

Have a browse round, make notes. 

Twiglet58

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »

Hi there thanks for your advice x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Twiglet
Why do you think the Evorel was effecting your mood? Why not try a different HRT?
Perhaps try something like Femoston 1/10 or 2/10 which has a kinder progesterone. If your meno symptoms, like flushes and poor sleep, return then this is really not going to help you to get your life back on track.
I'm a great believer in Mindful Meditation(which is a form of cognitive behavioural therapy) - it's taken some time to really have a positive effect but I am now far calmer and enjoying life more. 
Keep posting.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »

Hi Twiglet58

:welcomemm:

I certainly wouldn't swap HRT for Fluoxetine if your low mood is connected with hormones and menopause - as CLKD says docs should not prescribe ADs for this purpose. Some women do find that the progestogen part of Evorel (which is found in the combi patches in the second part of the pack) causes low mood, headaches etc - these are given as some of the common side effects "Depression, Insomnia, Affect lability, Nervousness, Migraine, Headache " http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/15325/SPC.

Defo follow Dancinggirl's advice and try a different kind of HRT - either Femoston if you don't mind tablets, or a different patch - Femseven or separate oestrogen (patch or gel) with progesterone. My daughter took Fluoxetine and experienced side effects coming off it.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »

Several ADs need careful weaning regime ;-).  It took me 9 weeks of careful control to stop.  Once I realised the bounce back anxiety didn't get worse after 36 hours I began to accept that I would be OK - and I have been!

Twiglet58

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

Hello. Thank you all. I have an appointment with the NP at the surgery next week so will ask about a different HRT. I've started to take the fluoxetine now - I don't know what to do shall I just stop taking them I've only taken three tablets

Cazikins

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

Hi Twiglet58
I should think that if you have only had 3 tablets then it should be ok to cut down to 2 a day, then 1 a day over the next 3 days.
Or you could give your surgery a ring & ask for advice.
Cazi.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

You should be OK stopping them.  Ring your Surgery or a Pharmacist?  Let us know!