Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Heritage  (Read 1363 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Heritage
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »

Having lived in Wales and spent time in Scotland as well as living through 'the troubles', I am aware that these countries have a 'heritage' in a way I feel that I don't.  Raised in deepest Norfolk ........ from a very poor working class background my parents worked their way 'up', saved hard and I have benefitted.  But the English don't have a 'national' costume.  We have folk songs and Morris dancing, Well Dressing, Dwyle Flunking ......

Many years ago I met a man who was from Brittany.  He had very little English but could understand Welsh as there was a Celtic Connection, I was fascinated.  Over the years his English improved, sadly he wanted to speak it rather than teach me French  ::)

We have St Georges' Day and dance around the May Pole ........ but don't seem to celebrate in the same way as other Nationalities.

Shadyglade

Re: Heritage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

Nationalism is over rated CLKD. Its often the cause of a lot of problems. It's good to feel proud of your routes but if you feel confident of those routes you shouldn't need to compete with others re their routes. I don't feel the need to fly a St George flag but that doesn't mean I am less English.

We are all a mixture on these islands. My family has Scots, Welsh, Irish and Jewish connections.  So what? Ultimately I am just me.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

I took until mid-30s to discover 'me'  ::)

I think 'we' stem from deepest Norfolk on paternal and maternal sides   .........    and his side from the deepest Fens.  I would love to time travel back to see where we started  ;D

The English don't have a National Costume in the same way as other Nations.  Wonder why  ???.  Kilts are World wide and are useful apparently.  An uncle was in a Scottish Regiment and the kilts were used at night as blankets, OK unless they had to walk through mud or wet weather when the hem became very stiff and caused sores on the backs of the legs  :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

Lucky you CLKD, on finding ‘you'....in your 30s.   :congrats:

Could you try and find me as well ...
I don't know where I've gone...... :neutral: 

Thanx in advance......lol .      ;D ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »

Which bit would you like to find first jillydoll  ;) : where might you spring from?