Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Diamond wedding anniversary help  (Read 4651 times)

clio

Diamond wedding anniversary help
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »

Ladies can I pick your brains??  My parents are celebrating there diamond anniversary this year and im wanting to buy them a gift on top of the other things I have planned for them.  They are both obviously very old by now and there health is a not so great so very restricted with regard to doing something like an experienced gift or anything like that.  I got them a lovely vase and had it engraved for there 50th so dont want to do that again.  I was however looking at a new garden bench, there other has basically had it I dont think you can even sit on it anymore.  Mum loves the garden and spends alot of time in it, dad wonders in and out of it occasionally.  I was thinking of having a plaque engraved on it too but dont know what to put on it.  I know that sort of thing is associated with people that have passed away but its the only thing I can come up with.  Maybe a short poem engraved or what else!!

Any suggestions please ladies

Clio

Ju Ju

Re: Diamond wedding anniversary help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

Oh isn't it difficult? My parents really don't want anything for presents. They say they don't want things. I make up a food and alcohol hamper ( for a couple who were teetotal when I was a child!), but even that's difficult because mum is diabetic. I did arrange for a telegram from the Queen for their Diamond Wedding Anniversary, as katsclaw suggested, but do check with them if you want to do that. I had a close relative who was adamant that no one arranged that for her 100th birthday. Are they able to go out and about? Could you take out for a special day? We have a family meal out if Mum is well enough.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »

Clio, I think something for their garden sounds lovely. It's so hard to buy something isn't it.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 02:03:34 PM »

I arranged for a card from the Queen for my parents Diamond Wedding Anniversary for a laugh really.  My Dad always used to say "they don't know what a days work is." Etc etc and when the card arrived it took pride of place in their house and he was showing everyone! ;D ;D  It was like the Queen was suddenly his bestie!!   ;D

I arranged a surprise party for them in the local village hall and contacted friends and neighbours and had 3 sisters and a nephew fly over from Ireland and hid them in the hall kitchen and borrowed catering coats and hats for them to come out in with the drinks and my Mums face was a picture!!  I got them down there on the pretence that we were just going out for a ride and afternoon tea.

We had a great time and videoed most of it. My Dad died a few years later but it's a great memory.

Regarding the bench, I think that's a lovely idea and maybe a rose bush too.  A good garden centre will also arrange for a plaque to be engraved. I ordered a lovely bench when my Dad died and it was about £400-£500 as it was a lovely quality one and included engraving plus taking it to churchyard and concreting it in place. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »

Do you have a local carpenter?  Someone who could make a bench/love-seat specifically for them.  Maybe a 'thank you Mum and Dad from ……. ' on a plaque? 

Is there a community area where a fruit tree/walnut could be planted, with a plaque at the bottom - to be enjoyed in years to come?  Or a community project that they could put their name to that will last for years?

We have parks, river walks etc. for those to dedicate a seat for who have passed on.

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »

Clio, I think something for their garden sounds lovely. It's so hard to buy something isn't it.

We got our Dad some garden furniture (table, chairs and parasol) for his 90th birthday and he loves it.
D.

clio

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »

I did think of the rose bush, you can name a rose or even name a star!  I do think the new bench is my best option, its just what to put on the plaque....

Ive got the telegram from the queen in readiness you cannot apply for it until 3 weeks before the date but im ready to do it.  Im also planning to take them for afternoon tea.  Plus a posh cake, and some flowers the same as mum had in her bouquet so i have a few things in place I just wanted the bench too but cant think for the life of me what to have engraved that would have any kind of meaning.

Clio

purplenanny

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »

The bench is a lovely idea. How about their names and date of marriage with a heart design. or ' Our Mum & Dad, a special couple'

I didn't know you could do the telegram thing - brilliant. They deserve it for all those years together
PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:33:52 PM »

Afternoon Tea at the Ritz? or somewhere appropriate close to where they live?  Lots of Hotels do a special spread, we've been to a couple in recent years  :-*

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »

Keep it simple?  Something like:

Mum and Dad (or their names)
Congratulations on your Diamond Wedding Anniversary
Day & month of wedding 1956 - 2016
With love from Clio

Or you could have a couple of lines from a garden poem instead of/as well as?  Or a poem that is special to them?  There are a lot of gardening anthologies around - try borrowing one from the library and seeing if inspiration strikes.

clio

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »

Thankyou for all the suggestions.  I think i might with along the lines of Diamond Wedding Anniversary followed by the date and then something like 'a place to sit and reflect' !!! How does that sound?? Should I add 'loads of love Clio' ?? or should I just leave it at that??  I really do want to get it right.

CLKD....afternoon tea at Chatsworth

Clio

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »

That sounds lovely.  Re adding 'loads of love Clio' - you know your parents best.  If they are very openly affectionate and like sharing their feelings with others then they'd probably like that.  If they are more private then they might prefer a loving message in a card which doesn't have to be shared with everyone else.  Just go with your gut feeling - whatever you do, I am sure they will love the thought and care that has gone into it!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »

Can't think of anywhere better  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »

Did you decide?

clio

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »

Sorry not replied sooner. We got the bench and had it engraved with  "a place to sit and reflect" along with there names and the date they got married. We had the most wonderful day - cream tea at Chatsworth. Plus a 3 tiered cake, balloons, telegram from the queen,  it was perfect and mum and day really enjoyed it.  That was in 2016, sadly my dad died last Christmas I nursed him to the end it was the most heart wrenching thing I've every done being daddy's girl but I'm glad I did it and held his hand and told him I loved him, he then took his last breath and was gone. I still cry!

Clio
Pages: [1] 2