Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan advice please  (Read 5748 times)

Minny

Utrogestan advice please
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:30:58 AM »

Good Morning,

Please can anyone advise me on Utrogestan 100mg.  I started my HRT journey on Feb 1st with Fem7 sequi.  I was fine on them but they just would not stick more than three days even with Tegaderm over the top. (Job outside)

Anyway now on Sandrena gel and Utrogestan.  I have decided to take the Utrogestan vaginally after reading what I can on hear.  I was just wondering because you are taking it in this way do you still need to have any empty stomach?  Also what happens if you start to have a bleed?  On fem7 day 2 of progesterone patch I started bleeding.  Could you use it rectally?

I don't know if I am finding the Sandrena as effective as the patches?  Any idea why this could be.  On the patches after a few days I felt my sex drive coming back but it's disappeared again  >:(

Thank you all

Minny

Dancinggirl

Re: Utrogestan advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »

Hi Minny - I've never used Sandrena, only Oestrogel which I think is a better product because you can adjust the dose more easily. I believe Sandrena take a long time to dry? Many women love patches but I have always found oestrogel very effective.  One sachet of Sandrena may be a lower dose that you were using on the Fem7 so this may be why you feel it isn't as effective.  I'd perhaps ask for Oestrogel and use 2 pumps per day which  could be a better dosage.
If you are using Utrogestan in a sequential regime then it is usually 200mg for 12 days each month - 100mg Utro is usually for the continuous regime which is 25 days out of 28 with a 3 days break. Under the supervision of a doctor, some women do use 100mg on a sequential basis but this does need to be monitored to ensure the womb lining doesn't build up. Using it vaginally seems to be very effective for many women but you only need to use Utro on an empty stomach if it is taken orally. One shouldn't actually bleed until you have finished the progesterone phase.  If you are doing a continuous regime then using it vaginally every day is probably not the best way.
Re.sex drive - I'm afraid this is a difficult one and oestrogen alone is not usually enough the get this going again - often some testosterone can help but this is rarely available on the NHS. I did find that Utrogestan increased my libido but only when I took it orally. We are all different and how hormones treatment effects us will be different - so it's definitely trial and error. I'm afraid loss of libido is a classic meno symptom generally. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »

Hi Minny

Sandrena gel is more concentrated than oestrogel and one sachet of Sandrena (1.0 g gel) contains 1 mg oestrogen whereas  one pump of estrogel (1.25 g gel) contains 0.75 mg oestrogen.

Therefore with Sandrena you will less gel to get the same amount of oestrogen as Estrogel but one sachet (of 1% Sandrena) is less than 2 pumps of estrogel so I would suggest you might need two sachets, or one and a half - if you would rather use this? Is it just libido you are noticing or has the change in regime brought back other symptoms? You also need to give your body time to adjust to its new regime.

No need to worry about empty stomach if using vaginally.

No info on using rectally - and studies haven't been done on whether it becomes available systemically (as far as I know) so wouldn't advise this. The only progesterone available rectally (and vaginally - same capsule) is Cyclogest which is a waxy pessary, like the discontinued Orthogynest local oestrogen pessaries. This is available off licence and was prescribed by privtae gynaes and enlightened GPs for menopausal progesterone before utrogestan was available - I used Cyclogest for several years  (4.5) before switching to utro.

If you are still very much peri-menopausal - but not late peri - and get bleeds sometimes at the "wrong" time then vaginal use could be problematic.

Also the licensed dose for cyclical use is 200 mg not 100 mg - although used vaginally this could be sufficient. You may find that if you use the licensed dose then you might not bleed while on the prog phase. I never did and have always used it vaginally - and on a long cycle too.

Hurdity x

Minny

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:20 AM »

Hi DG and Hurdity,

Thank you both for your replies.  I must admit I am getting myself a bit confused with it all (doesn't take a lot these days)

The instructions on my box of Utro says One to be taken daily on days 1 - 25 of cycle.  I haven't followed that advice!  I read on hear and on the leaflet and went for the 12 day option.  That seemed similar to how the patches had worked also.  I think my worry about doing it as it says on the box was being exhausted all the time as a lot of people seem to suffer from that.  I have suffered from insomnia all my life so I just couldn't cope with anymore exhaustion.

Hurdity I am not sure if I am late peri or not.  Most of my problems started last year with missing a period every month and then no period for 3 months.  Pain in joints and changing body temperature etc.... so not sure.

It isn't just my libido that's gone again, facial flushing is back with a vengeance.

I to took Utro last night (vaginally) about 9pm when I had got into bed but from about midnight I was back and forth to the bathroom nearly every hour wanting a wee!!!! Oh the joys.  I don't know what to do?  If I tried it orally would that be less irritating on  my bladder?  Also the Sandrena gel I was given 1mg but then I asked for the lower one thinking the lower dose would be the same as Fem7?  I think I've got this wrong also?

I am really grateful for your advice because I just can't get my head round it all.

Thanks again
Minny
xoxo

I

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »

Depending on your age, if you have gone more that a year without a period then you are considered post meno.  You would still be termed peri meno as you haven't gone that long without a period, however, your hormone levels will be falling more as you may be heading towards the later stage of peri.
Using Utro vaginally is renowned for irritating the bladder so I would try taking 200mg orally (2 capsules) for 12 days (one tends to need the higher dose when taken orally to ensure proper absorption). If you suffer with insomnia you may find Utro taken orally will help you to sleep, which could be a real bonus.
I agree the leaflet is not very helpful, indeed confusing, but if you look under Progesterones on the TREATMENT section at the top of this page it does explain how to use Utrogestan. DG x

Minny

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

Thanks DG

I am going to try that.  Oh it would be absolutely WONDERFUL if it helped with sleep

Thank you

Minny

Minny

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »

Sorry it's me again!

Was just wondering what difference does it make taking it days 1 - 25 of cycle or the 12 days? 

Thanks

Minny

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

1-25 days it considered the continuous regime and should result in no bleed at all over time - this is more appropriate if one is post meno.  The 12 days per month is the sequi version that is suitable in the peri meno stage. Taking any progesterone continuously can give more side effects so this is why many women choose to stick to the sequi version even if they are post meno.
Try 200mg orally tonight, 2 hours after food - I bet you will sleep better!!!!  Dg x

Minny

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »

Thanks Dg - I didn't think 1 - 25 day seemed right I am definitely not post.  200mg for me tonight watch this space!

Minny
xoxo

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »

Hi Minny

I'm not clear about the gel now - do you mean you have the lower dose Sandrena sachet which only contains 0.5 mg estradiol and you use one sachet per day? If so this is a very low dose of oestrogen and doubt you would need that much progesterone especially if you are still peri - although it may well prevent heavy bleeding if this has been a problem?

Good luck with it all anyway!

Hurdity x

VLC

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

I hope the OP doesn't mind my gatecrashing her thread, but since we're discussing utrogestan I have a question:

Can I take the vaginal capsules orally?!!

My prescription used to be for oral utrogestan capsules, which I used vaginally.
At some point my GP changed these for utrogestan vaginal capsules which come complete with (annoyingly useless) plastic applicators to insert vaginally.  I chuck the plastic applicators.  I've asked several times at dispensary to revert back to the old prescription, but it never happens.  I still use vaginally but would like to try orally for a while.

As far as I can tell, the two capsules are identical formulations, and I imagine that the only difference is the pointless plastic applicators.  But I'm not certain, and so before I swallow a pessary (!) I was hoping the utrogestan gurus might be able to enlighten me as to whether there really is a difference between the two formulations?

<baited breath>

Minny

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Sorry my post was a bit confusing.  I have seen GP today and am now going to be taking 1mg now as 0.5 mg was just not enough. 

VLC I am sorry I am new to all this so don't know the answer, hopefully Hurdity will see your question and be able to answer.

Minny

Minny

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »

Ok back to the drawing board for me.  Took 200mg oral last night and was quite ill during the night.  Felt sick and bad stomach ache, I felt like my stomach wanted to explode.  It was like the worst IBS pain I have ever experienced. 

So am going to go back to Vaginal and put up with going to the bathroom.  Can anyone tell me though doing it for the 12 days should I be using 100 mg or 200mg.  I know I should discuss this with my GP but they said it wasn't licenced for that use and to be honest there is no way taking it orally could I put up with feeling like I did last night.

Thank you again

Minny