Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Brand new member, unsure if on right track...  (Read 871 times)

nadinesophia

Brand new member, unsure if on right track...
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »

I'm 33 years old, I have suffered mental health problems pretty much since about 15. I have been diagnosed as pretty much everything over the years- manic depressive/anxiety depression/bipolar. However no treatment has really helped. My mum has been doing research and came across a prof studd article about women being diagnosed as bipolar but actually having PMDD. I have looked at various articles and research by Professor studd and the more I read the more I seem to relate to it. Really relate to it..... it's ...odd after all  this time to perhaps have a real diagnosis although I know it's early days. I have booked an appointment with the doctor in February and I have also booked an appointment with my GP to see if I can get an NHS referral to a similar doctor as it's obviously a lot of money with Dr studd.  Although if needed I think my parents will probably help with the money as it's been such a long time. Has  anyone else had the same experience from such a young age and benefited from going down this route ?  My apologies if I am babbling !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Brand new member, unsure if on right track...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »

You babble away!  Several ladies have seen Professor Studd with good results.  Hopefully they will be along with helpful info..

If by paying for an appt. and treatment you get a semblance of Life back, then go for it!  Many years ago Dr Kathleen Dalton found that PMT was governed by hormones  >:( and recommended eating every 3 hours, 24/7 - it certainly helped me a lot.

I found grazing useful too.  Annoyed the Hell out of the In-laws when I ate at different times to them in order to fit into my new health regime and keep my blood sugar levels even.   ;D.  I still have 'safe' foods when travelling in case we can't get to a cafe.

Browse round.  Make notes.  You may find taking a list of symptoms with you to your GP appt. useful as well as keeping a mood/food/symptom diary.  Let us know how you get on!

nadinesophia

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »

Thank you! Eating is unfortunately a symptom in itself...I comfort eat, I'm permanently hungry, I then try and starve myself etc...vicious circle. And I definitely know what you mean by eating every few hours, I have to or I feel faint etc

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »

Perhaps have a look at your whole diet?  Note down what you eat and when.  If there are stressors before you reach for the 'treat' of the day.  Eating every 3 hours stops that 'grabbing' for empty sugars.  That doesn't mean that I don't have a treat every day but my grazing is bananas, mixed, dried fruits and nuts, Himself cooks from scratch .... I know that I don't eat enough fruits and veg.  :D but eating is sooooo boring  :sigh: