Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menolieve - Black Cohosh  (Read 5276 times)

Joyzzeee

Menolieve - Black Cohosh
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »

I started taking Black Cohosh 4 months ago to help relieve the flushes, and whilst it has reduce the severity of the flush, I still experience flushes at least 8 times a day and at night as well.  My question is how long should I give the treatment before trying something else.

Hurdity

Re: Menolieve - Black Cohosh
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:28:46 PM »

Hi Joyzzeee

Your post seems to have got missed!

Re Black Cohosh - there is information about this herbal remedy from this site here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/otherpreps.php

BLACK COHOSH Cimicifuga Racemosa, also known as bugbane is a member of the buttercup family and a woodland perennial. It was used by the North American Indians who called it "black snake root" because of its gnarled black root. They boiled up the root and drank the tea, when it was used to ease menstrual cramps and childbirth pains. It was thought that it had similar properties to plant estrogens and binds to the same receptors in the body that estrogen does, although recent research suggests more of a serotonin effect. Black Cohosh may be effective for the emotional symptoms which accompany the menopause. It is thought to help with the mood swings, depression and weepiness that are associated with hormone fluctuation. It also may help alleviate hot flushes, though studies have shown varying results.

UPDATES:

Black cohosh does not relieve menopausal hot flushes – British Medical Journal updates and summary of study on our news page here.
    Safety and effect of Black Cohosh and Red Clover for hot flushes here

I also tried it when I was peri-menopausal  because a colleague swore by it and intially I did see an improvement - or so I thought, but later as I became nearer to menopause it didn't have any effect at all and so I went onto HRT and have been ever since. I think the previous success was actually my own hormones fluctuating as they do, as my periods came and went. There is also the question mark over long term safety as with all herbal products - there have been insufficient trials into this - I think from what I remember six months is the limit.

Many of us on here have tried similarly. Really HRT is the only product that really works other than some anti-depressants - and the only reason to take these instead of HRT for hormonal problems is if you have a medical reason that you cannot take HRT.

Definitely try something else and please consider HRT - I am 62 and have been on it for 9 years and do not intend to stop provided my health continues at this level! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menolieve - Black Cohosh
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »

If your hormones begin partying then the Cohosh won't help as much.  Your will break through so you may get less benefit.  Have a browse round, make notes!