Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Femoston 2/10 newbie here the good and the not so good  (Read 20176 times)

Nuttynora

Femoston 2/10 newbie here the good and the not so good
« on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »

Hi 

Just after a little bit of advice,I'm 48 and was prescribed femoston 2/10 for anxiety and sleepless nights plus crying at everything!
My periods were every 2 weeks,scan (but not internal) was clear .

First 2 months I was feeling so much better and had periods every 28 days,hooray! But now it's returned  to me bleeding almost continuously,3 weeks on 1 week off and I'm really fed up with it.
Am now 4 months into the hrt but I am wondering if maybe I should be on the lower dose? Am I bleeding because I have too much oestrogen possibly? Doctor didn't seem concerned but said she could prescribe something to stop the bleeding if I wanted too? Other than that I feel loads better and don't cry at the silliest of things. Not experienced any hot flushes yet but had a couple of drenching night sweats but over a year ago now. 

Thank you for reading this.
Kind regards

Dancinggirl

Re: Femoston 2/10 newbie here the good and the not so good
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »

Hi and welcome Nuttynora
You are clearly still in peri menopause so your own hormones and fluctuating and this can result in erratic bleeding.  You might be better on the lower dose but I would take a break from the HRT first to allow your womb lining to completely shed before starting fresh - maybe give yourself 2 weeks without the HRT. I beeleive it is a mistake to take the high dose from the outset - it's always good idea to start on low dose first and then go on to a higher dose as you get deeper into menopause.
The alternative would be to have a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen as patch or gel  - this combo usually results in no bleed at all!!!  DG x

Nuttynora

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »

Thank you Dancing girl,thank you so much for your reply,that was my initial thought when I was given 2/10 that maybe it was as too much so I will ask to be changed.

Am also experiencing a tingling/cold sensation on my lips and tongue which is weird, since starting hrt and have had a horrible allergic reaction to antibiotics for recurring  problems down below.

Just worried I'm going to turn back into the emotional wreck I was before I started  Hrt but can't continue with this bleeding, it's getting me down now. Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »

Hi Nuttynora

:welcomemm:

As you mention "problems down below" just to add that many women require local oestrogen (for vaginal area) as well as systemic HRT ( the tablets or patches) to keep things healthy in that region and especially to plump up tissues so that they are less vulnerable to infection.

Here is some info:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalresources.php

I would follow Dancinggirl's advice and perhaps ask for the 1/10 (or the Mirena coil) but also ask for Vagifem. If your periods were every 2 weeks then you were not yet in peri-menopause proper so the high oestrogen could well cause symptoms as oestrogen fluctuates quite high sometimes at this stage - from what I've read - but also crashes low too giving dramatic and unpleasant symptoms.

Hurdity x

Nuttynora

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »

Thank you Hurdity.

I now have a prescription for 1/10 femoston! Doctor said I'd be going back to square one if I changed but said its your decision, not finding her very supportive if I'm honest. Didn't dare ask for vagifem too, it's had enough getting an appointment and getting her to actually listen to what I'm saying :(.

Doctor said just move straight into the lower dose,I'm still bleeding, Or do I go cold turkey and give my body a break?
The old feelings of anxiety and tears  are creeping back and my head feels weird, not really a headache but just feel aware of my brain,ears ringing and the tingling of lips and mouth is more noticeable but not painful. 
Any thoughts on what to do re taking new tablets?

Thank you ladies xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »

Hi again Nuttynora

You would just move straight onto the new tablets at the same point in the cycle - not sure if the doc means start the new packet from Day 1 - but it depends where you are in the cycle - because it could make your bleeds go out of sync - depending on what your own cycle is doing!

You really do need to ask for Vagifem and such a pity that your doc's attitude made you feel like you couldn't ask for it. If you go onto a lower dose oestrogen you will need it even more as your overall levels will be reduced.

Please go back and if necessary go to a different doc and ask for it - print off the info from this site so that they cannot question this.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

VAGINAL TREATMENTS

Local estrogen can be used for vaginal and bladder symptoms, when systemic treatment is not desired or appropriate. For some women, vaginal estrogen may be required along with systemic HRT.
  (my bold).

No need to go cold turkey as your body will be more shocked!

Hope you feel better in the lower dose - but if not do not despair as there are other options as Dancing girl says.:)

Hurdity x

Nuttynora

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 02:53:06 AM »

Thank you.

I'm so cross as I'd not noticed that doc has prescribed 1/5 which is not what we'd agreed! Is that a very low dose?
I'm feeling awfully panicky and can't cope,everything is horrible in my head right now. I feel like I'm buzzing if that makes sense? 😔

dazned

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »

Hi I thought Femoston 1/5 was conti ??  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »

Oh dear Nuttynora - your GP has given you the wrong Femoston - As you are peri menopause you can't have the conti version yet.  Sometimes they need to have their hands held when it comes to HRT I'm afraid.  Just ask for a telephone consultation and explain the problem - they should just issue you with the right prescription. Dg x

Nuttynora

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »

So glad I found this site,otherwise I would be merrily taking the incorrect HRT 😡 Thank goodness for lovely ladies like all of you to help us newbies out! 🙏
Just been to collect the 1/10,checked before I left chemist and it's 2/10 again!!!
This person is responsible for my health!!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »

For heaven's sake!!!! I despair sometimes! I'm sure you do too!
...and then we occasionally get comments form members on here like - no-one is medically qualified so you must only take notice of what your doc says !!!!
I hope you manage to get the right prescription soon!

Hurdity x :)

Nuttynora

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

It was either laugh or cry,phamacist contacted the doctors to arrange 1/10 again,went to collect......you guessed it,another packet of 1/5 😡😡😡
At that point I explained the whole thing to the pharmacist while losing the plot,she agreed I knew what I was talking about and is going to sort it out for me tomorrow.

On the plus side I have now got vagifem 👏🏻👏🏻

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »

Bravo Nuttynora - you are finally getting what you need. What a struggle though!!!!!   DG x

Nuttynora

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »

At my wits end here!
I have just had a call from the pharmacist saying the doctor intentional prescribed 1/5 cont because I was complaining about having periods,I was not,I was asking for the lower 1/10 to try to regulate the period if possible.
I don't know what to do now :(

Shall I just start 1:5? The leaflet with it said not to take if you're having periods?

So fed up with trying to sort this out 😢😢

dazned

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

If you are still having bleeds you need a cyclical hrt not conti .
I think you need to go back to gp and explain again what you require  ;)
Pages: [1] 2