Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Alternatives - natural and help....  (Read 5610 times)

Sharr76

Alternatives - natural and help....
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »

Hi all,

I have been taking menopace plus tablets for 12 months now and I cant say they have done much for me...but Im reluctant to come off them until I can find an alternative.

What natural alternatives are you taking and are they working? Any recommendations?

Im coping ish with the flushes/flashes but my temper is awful and I am not sleeping at night due to the flushes/flashes, I can cope during the day, its night time Im struggling with.

My temper is awful, I feel like Im a raving mad women sometimes.... (at least I recognise that problem)... ;D

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.....I have an appointment too with my GP at the end of the month..to discuss my issues..... :o

Sharon x

SadLynda

Re: Alternatives - natural and help....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

Hi Sharon, I was the alternatives queen - I tried them all over the last few years.  It was my mood and my temper and the good ladies on here who got me to the GP, infact to my 3rd practice as the last two did nothing.  My GP put me on AD's, this was six weeks ago and I feel a whole lot better.

I take probiotics for my silly gut which I do think help and Omega 3 for skin issues's and immunity, also still concentrate on a healthy diet, no processed - still have no caffine and no alcohol either.

just remembered, I didnt sleep either - I take valerien for that, and a nice herbal bedtime tea.

I can say that acupuncture worked for me too (traditionally trained one) but I can no longer afford to go sadly.

I know 'some' people have better luck with most alternatives, but afraid I was not one of them - and it cost me a heck of a lot of money to find that out.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »

I've tried just about every remedy in the book with no success - cost me a fortune.  HRT is the only thing that really helps I afraid - it is worth giving it a try if your quality of life is being compromised - don't suffer unnecessarily.  DG x

dazned

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »

Ive used valerian in the past too for insomnia worked for me. Cant help with hoot flushes as I don't suffer with those strangely .
Epsom salts baths are really good too at relaxing you ,then hop into bed . :)

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »

Epsom salts for joint pain and sleeplessness

Herbal tea for stress and sleeplessness (I love 'Snore and Peace' just before bed)

Caffeine and sugar-free diet helps with flushes and palpitations

Having said that, I am on BCP, so getting hormones to help as well - but still getting the above symptoms

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »

Hi Sharr76

I didn't take that many alternatives - well mainly just Black Cohosh for a while, and also a diet high in phyto-oestrogens ie lots of seeds etc. I thought they worked at first but actually it was my own cycle coming and going as it does in peri-menopause and eventually the flushes and sweats remained whatever I tried so went onto HRT and have been on ever since ( almost 9 years now).

Rather than take loads of supplements, the best thing you can do is to make sure your diet is really good and varied with lots of fresh ingredients, fish, fruit and veg, nuts and pulses and few refined & processed foods, sugars and fat - reduce unnecessary carbs. Perhpas a few well chosen ones like cod liver oil, or iron tonic now and again or possibly Vit D in moderation ( or lots of oily fish). It's a good time to look at your lifestyle ie give up smoking, reduce alchohol, lose weight reduce stress, take more exercise - if necessary. There is a lot of info on NHS website and here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

If you go to your doctor asking for help -  what you may be prescribed will likely depend on what your periods are doing and what you emphasise and how they view menopause. Have you started missing periods - or has your cycle lengthened or is variable and how old are you?

What your doc should not do if you go with menopausal symptoms such as you describe, (in addition to the "mad woman" ones!) is prescribe anti-depressants rather than HRT so I would be prepared for this and read up about the different types of HRT if you are thinking along the lines of taking something prescribed to help you. These are not supposed to be prescribed as first line of treatment for menopause and especially if you are under the natural average age of menopause when you need to maintain your oestrgoen levels.

Pleaae do ask about anything you are puzzled about :)

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x