Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Chia seeds?  (Read 7579 times)

Chia seeds?
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »

Anyone tried chia seeds, especially for digestive problems?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chia seeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »

What are they?

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

Bought these the other day for the first time. You can add them to anything.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »

Why?

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »

Why?

Supposed to be very good for you. A "superfood". Good for digestion (both constipation and diarreah), lots of antioxidsnts, minerals and vitamins. Read somewhere about potential to balance hormones. Lowers blood pressure. Like I said - a superfood... ;) !

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:34:30 PM »

I tried flax seeds - once  ::)

Sunnydays

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:20 AM »

Started using chia seeds about 2 months ago. The seeds are tiny so can be eaten whole. I add them to my porridge each morning. I also add a spoon of flax seeds.

limpy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »

Our local bakery occasionally sells chia seed bread, it's really tasty, hard to believe it's healthy too  ::)

Night_Owl

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »

Chia seeds soaked in water are supposedly good for constipation and diverticulitis.

I had been taking chia seeds soaked in a glass of water (for a few hours) every day for months - but have recently reverted back to flax seeds soaked in water - sometimes I grind them in a coffee grinder and sprinkle on cereal.

Initially the Chia seeds worked reasonably well for my (lifelong) lazy bowel / constipation problem - then stopped working (other factors may be involved though - eg. upping small dose of estrogen).  This always happens - my body seems to get used to something and then there's no effect.

Over the years I've tried many treatments for the constipation (eg. spent £££s on colonic irrigation, gentle cleansing herbs, prune juice etc etc - not all at once though!) - unfortunately none are that effective.

Has anybody found anything particularly effective?

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »

A daily kiwi fruit works.  They don't always taste nice though.  I was told that they have an enzyme in them that helps with constipation and that 2 a day will shift anything.  ;D  I tried one a day and it really did work until I had a packet of kiwis sitting in the fruit bowl and could no longer bring myself to eat another one.  Every time I thought about it, I wanted to run, fast, in the other direction.  I think they may set off my oral allergy and give me a sore throat though.

I have been told magnesium supplements work, but that is complicated and I can't work out of it has anything to do with being short of magnesium, or whether it just works as a laxative anyway.

Movicol.  Brilliant but not cheap.

Lots of fluids, lots of soluble fibre (oats, pulses, fruit and veg) feet on stool, pelvic floor relaxation exercises (to counteract pelvic floor dysfunction).  Training yourself to go every day at the same time (after breakfast which stimulates peristalsis) and coffee (caffeine is supposed to increase peristalsis - did that this morning and will regret it later if it causes more palpitations  ::) )  I do all this, but am not a routine person so have to resort to movicol.

limpy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »

Prunes - 3 a day seem to get things moving.