Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New jogger needs encouragement!  (Read 8405 times)

Rebelyell

New jogger needs encouragement!
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »

Just started the couch to 5k.  Day one was fairly easy, but day two am aching really badly at top of thighs/butt and ankle joints.   Any tips?  Encouragement?  Am I mad as have never exercised before???

dazned

Re: New jogger needs encouragement!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »

Good on you ! Just don't set the bar too high as it's your first foray into keep fit ,you dont want to undermine yourself,little steps  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »

I do think one needs to ease into these things gradually - slowly build up the amount you do over a few weeks to allow the muscles to build and strengthen or you will feel demoralised . Make sure you warm up properly and do plenty of stretching after the run.  Hot bath is essential as well. Good luck  XXX

limpy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »

Like DG says - build up gradually over a few weeks. Don't do too much too soon.
Perhaps run every other day at first to give your muscles chance to recover. Rather than running every day and risking damaging things.

buggz_71

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »

Rebelyell, that is brilliant! I did the coach to 5k last year and can give the following advice,
Always warm up before with brisk walking, and do lots of stretching after. Never run two days in a row as your body needs time to recover.
Don't try to run too fast in the beginning as this could cause an injury, it is not about speed just about keeping a sustained even pace and speed will come later.
Have a warm bath after and make use of sports rub if you have achy limbs, which is very likely to happen. Also keep well hydrated by drinking lots of water.
I did the 5 to 10k course this year as I have enjoyed running and at the moment I have a knee injury but I am so anxious to get back running but been told by my physio to not run for 10 days.
Good luck to you and just remember you are doing so well just getting out there and exercising!

limpy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »

Rebelyell - Meant to say, you definitely are not mad, well done for getting active.
The link below has lots of useful info towards the end

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »

gone  :-\

peri

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »

Hope she comes back. I've just committed to the gym, I've been going 3 times a week since the New Year, it's not easy but do you know what it makes me feel good  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »

well done U!