Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is this Anemia ?  (Read 2689 times)

mazzy

Is this Anemia ?
« on: December 29, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »

Went for my 6 month review with my GP last week and mentioned that after the awful year that I was having had been feeling very tired and run down. He told me that I was probably just feeling stressed out but did decide to test a urine sample (as I had had a high sugar reading before) and take a blood test.  He also mentioned that he thought that I looked tired and pale, which was no surprise as I don't sleep very well at all.

On the morning of Christmas Eve, I had a phone call from the Doctors Surgery telling me that my GP had asked them to call me to tell me that my Blood test had come back showing that I had a low level of Folic Acid and a Prescription had been forwarded to the chemist for me to pick up.  They also said that my risk of Diabetes had gone up.

The tablets that they have given me are Folic Acid 5mg, which I started taking on Christmas Eve. Since I started taking them I feel so tired and not sure if its the tablets or the last few hectic days of Christmas.

I only thought that pregnant women needed Folic Acid and not really sure what it means to be deficient in in.  Does this mean that I am Anemic ?  They have give me 2 months supply and then I have to see the GP again

Mazzy

Dorothy

Re: Is this Anemia ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:56 PM »

Low level of folic acid can cause anaemia. Has your diet changed in the past few months?  This must be a very stressful time for you as if I remember rightly it is the first Christmas without your Mum?  Grief can affect what/how we eat so hopefully the pills will give you a boost over the next couple of months.  Hope you feel better soon. Hugs x
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:51:39 PM by Dorothy »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:53:08 PM »

mazzy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:11:24 AM »

Thanks both.  Yes Dorothy it is the 1st Christmas without Mom and the last few weeks leading up to Christmas have been difficult for all of us but As my dear Mom would be up there saying ' Life has to go on'

To be honest I do think that I eat quite a good diet, although I don't really eat red meat very often.  I tend to go for all types of fish and Chicken.  Lots of Rice and Vegetables and fruit, so don't really know how this has come about unless stress does take it out of you in other ways. ???