Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well Woman Check  (Read 6801 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Well Woman Check
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

2-day I received a letter announcing that NHS Health Checks are being offered to people aged between 40 and 74 once every five years …….. anyone been called?

In the letter it states 'take a look at the enclosed leaflet' - it doesn't tell the patient to 'read' the contents  ::) ……… and if I wish to decline I have to let the surgery know ……… wonder why  :-\

I can also have an interpreter ……….. maybe I ought to take DH in case I get muddled and forget why I'm there  ::)

It's being pushed by the NHS, Public Health England and the Alzheimer's Society  ::) ………..

I suppose I will go in the New Year as I am curious  ;)

Taz2

Re: Well Woman Check
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »

I had mine when I reached 60 and my husband got one too.

I think you are asked to let the surgery know so that they can remove you from the list which sends you repeated letters asking you to make an appointment.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

The letter was addressed to me but is obviously aimed at both sexes  >:(

Jenna

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »

It is pretty much the same thing that I had with my pill check for years.

They weigh you and measure you (not helpful as I know what I weigh and measure) take your blood pressure (helpful as that was what I was there for.  Record your ethnicity (not helpful), do a finger **** blood test for cholesterol (not helpful in my case as I had had 2 proper ones recently) which only gives an indication of total cholesterol.  Ask a load of tedious questions about your diet, smoking and alcohol intake (this does get tedious when you have done it every year, is not helpful, and how many times do you have to tell them you have no intention of ever smoking ever!)  This will give you a score of your likelihood to have a heart attack/stroke which you can do for yourself online. http://www.qrisk.org/

You may get a basic sugar test or urine test.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »

I did see a notice about this at the docs when I went earlier in the week - and wondered what it was about. I'm not sure if all practices actually call people - I haven't been called but perhaps we are just supposed to make an appt on reading the notice? Although it seems like standard stuff - remember many people may not have even thought about their health and how to maximise good health as they age so if it helps some people change their bad habits (!) and also improve their diet, lose weight, cut down smoking and alchohol - it has to be a good thing :)

Thanks for the link Jenna - looks like it's only every 5 years :o - but this is better than nothing - I presume NHS does not have the capacity to do it more frequently.

I agree that women should have just that but more - in particualr thyroid function tests as standard and at least a two yearly scan of uterus - in addition to what we have already.

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

I was called in last year at age 60. All basic stuff, but interesting as it was after losing weight. Prior to that my BP, cholesterol and glucose levels were slightly elevated ( hence the weight loss) and all had gone down into the ideal range. Checks like this can highlight potential problems, giving you the opportunity to do something about it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »

I have to have blood taken for cholesterol check a week prior to a discussion about general health - apparently  ::).  Booked for Jan..

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »

I get checks every 6 months or so anyway. Been given my % chance of developing stroke etc. I've been advised to lose some weight again, nothing I didn't already know & to increase exercise, again something I knew. My risks are higher due to my father dying in his mid 40s.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

Is that 'actual' risk or …………. ?

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »

My husband and I had these a couple of years ago.  We passed with flying colours  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 05:51:01 PM »

I had a GP staying with us recently ( we do a bit of B&B) and my husband had just turned 60 so got the letter asking him to come in for a routine check - the GP commented that only the 'worried well' tend to go for these appointments!!!!  My husband is slim, active and basically very healthy apart from a bit of arthritis but if there was anything in his doctor's notes that could be of concern it would affect his career (he's an actor) so simply won't go!!!  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »

My father died of heart attack on holiday CLKD. He'd gone to doctor with angina brought on by stress, long story. Doctor said holiday would do him good. We arrived on the Friday & he was gone before Saturday lunchtime.  So an actual risk. My brother & I felt we'd achieved something by getting past our mid 40s. Brother has had a few scares, but none proved to be heart related. I too had a scare, mine was stress related, heart was ok, I'd got myself in such a state with work. GP called me in for a heart tracing, except I had to wait until after Christmas. I was in an even bigger state by then, so tracing was slightly abnormal. Locum GP didnt want to take chances, so I was sent straight to hospital on New Year's Eve. I was home by the bells though. Normal GP said I should never had been sent in the first place as it was obvious I'd gotten myself so wound up over it. So both my brother & I have regular check ups.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 06:45:57 PM »

Oh how sad. 

I had my letter to attend for the bowel/pooh check - it arrived yesterday, good timing - not  ::)

clio

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »

Ive had what I call a MOT every five years and have done since the age of 30, they write and tell me to make an apt so I do. 

Clio
Pages: [1] 2