Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Switching from Premique to Femoston Conti  (Read 2952 times)

SevenOfNine

Switching from Premique to Femoston Conti
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »

Enforced switch of HRT (due to no supply) from Premique (low dose) to Femoston Conti (ultra low dose), after several years on the first. 

Always 'weaning off', seeing as I held out as long as possible with the meno symptoms & tried every alternative under the sun before finally caving in to HRT.  Cut pills up almost for the whole period on it, with the last few years my optimum dose was 1/3rd pill, ticked along comfortably.  Can't get Premique so switched nearly 3 weeks ago to Femoston described as "ultra low dose" though appears stronger it has different ingredients so difficult to actually tell, can only really go by the descriptions on here.

Stuck to my 1/3rd regime & all looked OK for first 2 weeks, but hot flushes kicking back in at night.  Firstly only 2 or 3 but building up to 6 last night!!  :-\  Fairly mild in comparison to the bad old days but they wake me up so lack of sleep will build up to be a problem.

I can see I may have to up the dose..........but I'm proper fed up.  That's it, whinge/rant over.  :bang: :bang: 

Hurdity

Re: Switching from Premique to Femoston Conti
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

Hi SevenOfNine

I'm not surprised your symptoms are recurring! Premique Low Dose is much stronger than Femoston ultra Low Dose! Here are the different preparations: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php. Even if you swapped from Premique low dose to Femoston Low Dose ( ie 1 mg Femoston) you might expect to have a bit of a settling in period as your body adjusts - because Premique contains a mix of horse oestrogens whereas Femoston contains the bio-identical estradiol ( ie the same molelcue that our bodies make). In addition they each contain a different progestogen so your body is getting used to a completely different preparation. If I were you I would take the whole ultra low dose Femoston - it really is a tiny amount! It is designed for women who only want/need a small boost of oestrogen and is generally well tolerated.

Did you doc suggest this ie that 1/3 ultra low Femoston = 1/3 premique?

Let us know what you decide - if necessary through your GP - the last thing you want is a recurrence of flushes & sweats - with their effect on sleep, if these were well under control.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

Re: Switching from Premique to Femoston Conti
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »

As always Hurdity has given sound advice.  I personally think it is pointless to cut up pills - if you need the HRT then use the full dose given to you.  The Ultra Low dose is so very low - if you are cut the pills up you won't be getting anything that will benefit.  You may find that you feel good after 2-4 weeks as with this low dose it will take longer for your oestrogen levels to build and improve your symptoms.
Hurdity and I are some of the older ones on here - I'm 59 and still use a low dose systemic HRT - for me the benefits far outweigh any risks. DG x