Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Please tell me there is help  (Read 2611 times)

Princesspurple

Please tell me there is help
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »

I was on Prozac for many years after a nervous breakdown. I was then put on Citalopram for anxiety when driving after my mother's death. Last year I stupidly took myself off it as felt fine for months. In October I suddenly felt very depressed and anxious about everything. I was put back on Citalopram but it did not help this time. My doctor swapped me to Prozac three weeks ago with Lorazepam for the anxiety. I have tried keeping busy but the negative thoughts keep creeping in and I can't stop crying. I was taking the contraceptive pill Cerelle to stop my periods. I came off it to have blood tests to see how much of this could be hormonal. I am in my menopause which I think would account for night sweats, mood swings, anxiety, fog brain, depersonalisation and lots if other horrid stuff. My doctor says she can't sort out the hormones until the Prozac  has kicked in which will be another three weeks of this living hell. I dread waking up each morning. I try to get through work without crying. I try to function normally for my daughter. She had a year out of uni due to ME but is going back in January. It has been extremely stressful trying to find her accommodation etc. Now I am dreading her going back and wonder if I will ever feel normal again. I live alone and used to live it but now just cry and shake all the time. I am really hoping this is hormonal and can be sorted soon. Please can anyone give me any hope?

Kathleen

Re: Please tell me there is help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

Hello Princesspurple and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry that you are suffering but you have come to the right place for advice and help. Many of us have experienced the symptoms you've described and the ability of hormones to derail us is truly frightening. Hopefully the Prozac will work soon and HRT will definitely address your menopause issues plus you seem to have a good GP which is fortunate.

I'm sure other ladies will be along soon but in the meantime sending hugs.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »

:welcomemm:

The Prozac may kick in sooner - any ADs I began either gave me bad side effects within 24 hours or I felt benefit after 3 days. Don't be hard on yourself, you've been through a lot!

Did you grieve?  You may find that you are still at a 'stage' which you need to work through.  Add menopause symptoms ………. and The Time of Year  >:(  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes  ;)

Yes - there is help!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:18:04 PM by CLKD »

TropicalVon69

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »

Hi Princess purple.....I know exactly how that feels....I was put on mirtrazipine which has helped but eating healthier and exercise as well as holistic therapies has worked more than anything....hold in there it will get better xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »

:thankyou:  Rockhopper

However - there is probably a long waiting list for these Services? so maybe have a look-see sooner rather than later to judge what services are available.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »

Hi Princesspurple

:welcomemm:

I haven't experienced the depressive feelings you have, but I do know that having been on HRT for the past 8 years, it has kept me on an even keel and even mood, so hopefully when you are eventually prescribed a hormonal treatment it will begin to do the same for you. It can be quite tricky getting the dose right sometimes if you are in very early peri-menopause when the hormonal fluctuations are still dramatic but gradually gets easier as time goes on and the contsant oestrogen means you don't get that extreme dip which can result on low mood.

In the meantime perhpas you would be interested in the article on Perimenopause on this site here which tells you what's happening to your body? http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

My eldest son also had to drop out of university half-way through his third year because of some sort of post-viral effect from a bad bout of glandular fever part-way through his second year. He was fine when he went back and ended up with a good degree and a good job - he's now 28. We do always worry about our children and especially when things go wrong but hopefully she will be fine! :)

Hurdity x