Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Research regarding complementary therapies to help PMS  (Read 6540 times)

Briony

Research regarding complementary therapies to help PMS
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »

Recently posted this link in a discussion about PMS and ovulation suppression. However, I thought the section on research regarding complementary  treatments was really interesting too, so have re posted the link here. I presume if something helps PMS, it could benefit menopausal symptoms too?

Hope it's of use/interest: (see section seven/page 4)

http://www.nickpanay.com/Papers%20pdf/Royal%20College%20of%20Obstetrians%20%20Gynaecologists%20PMS%20Guidelines.pdf

Hurdity

Re: Research regarding complementary therapies to help PMS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »

Thanks for posting that Briony - it is especially valuable because it is produced by the RCOG so we know it will be unbiased information and evidence based.

I wonder whether what they say is relevant to menopause as well since pms seems to have multiple causes depending on what a woman is sensitive to - but you have reminded me that I did find a paper and summary sheet about alternatives to HRT for the management of menopause produced a few years later also by the RCOG which I posted on the thread I started about alternatives to HRT before this section was created. It would be interesting to compare what they say about the different treatments for both pms and menopause for those who are interested. 

This is one of the links but I'll bump up the thread for those who are interested (there are repeated requests for this section to be created in that thread but there is also some useful information and interesting discussion).

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/scientific-impact-papers/sip_6.pdf

Hurdity x  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »

Not very impressed to see evening primrose oil recorded as having no effect.  My GP recommended I take that when I was in my 20s and I spent ££s on the stuff - feel a bit miffed that she was recommending something that had no scientific backing without telling me it didn't!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »

Interesting about the Evening Primrose Oil. This used to be available on NHS and I was prescribed it many years ago for cyclical breast pain when the children were growing up - and then it was no longer available. Looking at the info on pms, although there is no evidence that it works for this from the trials carried out, it does say that it is beneficial for cyclic mastalgia (breast pain occurring due to the menstrual cycle) - which is what I was prescribed it for - so I wasn't imagining it after all!!! I was thinking it must have been placebo or else that the breast pain came and went anyway and I though it was due to the EPO....

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »

Sparkle, was it in those jelly like capsules? If so, I know some people are allergic to them. That said, I'd not fancy taking it by the teaspoonful!! X