Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Exercise thread  (Read 31294 times)

dahliagirl

Exercise thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »

My exercise routine is dying a death again (winter blues, I expect  ::) )

What have you found helpful?  In what ways does it help you?

I prefer to do dance classes, but the teachers come and go (and we are in a 'go' phase at the moment which may be part of the problem).  They help with my joint achiness, and give my brain something to think about.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Exercise thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »

How about your local leisure centre?

I walk when I feel like it.  Anything else is too much like hard work  ::)

Houseowkr is good exercise!

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »

My exercise of choice is swimming, but I've been a bit lax of late, due to having cold.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

I posted elsewhere that I started aqua aerobics for the over 50s recently.  I really like it and I am pleased at how well I am managing to keep up most of the time as I have never done it before.

I like the way the water gives resistance but it also supports you and gives a lower impact.

I think this is good for someone like myself who has not exercised in a very long time due to health and mobility problems.  One of the ladies in the class had a stroke which is why she started and she has gone on to start pilates as well.

One my core strength improves I might stop toppling over when on one leg!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »

I did a 'search' - there are 30 mentions of exercise on here  :D

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

I haven't been swimming for ages - must try out the 'repair' one day - I used to have unspeakable problems with the nether region.   :-X

We don't have much in the way of leisure centres locally - they are all private gyms.

There is an over 50s dance group, but everyone keeps telling me not to go  ::), but I may give it a go - it involves a drive into town at an awkward time of day and problems parking.

Walking is always good, if you can find someone to go with you.  It is really good if there is a café involved  ;D

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »

Walking - I have started regular walks to break up my day (I work at home). I bought a pedometer which really does motivate me, strange as I didn't think it would.  I have a large park nearby and take a walk around there - I do 4 minutes normal pace and speed up for a minute or so.

I tried Davina McCalls excercises, a trial online, they are 1 minute short bursts of excercise.  Things like punches and squats, I enjoyed it but.............didn't pay for ongoing access, so I stopped duh!!

Also looked online for some strength training routines using baked bean cans - for the arms and legs.  Again they are short routines, maybe 5 minutes each time.  I am definately finding a difference in relaxation and sleep when I keep these things up and the short sharp bursts seem to work for me.

I keep meaning to start a yoga class...............it keeps slipping down the to do list!

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »

I keep meaning to start a yoga class, and a ballet class (as well as the over 50s class) [grin]

Walking may be the good start I am looking for - I have a friend who could be persuaded.  No dog though.

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »

I do a yoga class once a week. It's fun and all of us are of a similar age. Nobody cares how bendy you are, or not. Our main goal is to not snore during the relaxation exercise at the end  ;D

I used to have a dog but still do the walk even though she's crossed the rainbow bridge.

Galadriel x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »

We had a cycling thread for a while  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 08:57:17 PM »

I posted on babyjane's thread about what I do but I will say it again here  ::)

3 exercise classes per week - Piloxing, Pilates and Zumba, regular walking on some of the other days. Walking on holiday and a separate walking holiday once a year, cycling on holiday. Gardening during good weather not winter! Never tried yoga - I can't keep still for long enough! Swimming rarely but I do like it.

Hurdity x

Linsey44

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »

Well Sparkle, heres my contribution to this topic - no laughing.

Collection of davina dvds and multiple others, cough cough some in wrappers? Ssshhhh

Sometimes brisk walk round 4 mile circuit.  Have treadmill, cross trainers, weights, total gym and gazelle exercise machine at home. Use now and again.

This week tried yoga dvd at home - not bad.

My problem is lack of continuity with anything, only thing with any consistency is my ass its getting bigger the more lethargic i become.

Think what im trying to say is its all or nothing approach with me and ive been in the nothing phase for quite some time.

Away to finish watching a movie.
LinseyX

Autumn

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »

I go to a 'restorative yoga' class once a week where the pace is gentle and slow and you do as much as is ok for you...I am the youngest (which is quite novel! :banana: ) and the others are 60's to 80's - which makes me push a bit more to keep up with them. They are all great fun and lovely ladies.

I also do dog walking for the charity Cinnamon Trust three times a week. One, because I love dogs and two, because I had to have a reason to go out and walk! I knew I had to exercise more but just couldn't find motivation, so volunteered for this.

(The Cinnamon Trust are a fab charity who have volunteers go and help the elderly or seriously ill people with their pets that they would otherwise have to part with. )

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »

I go to a 'restorative yoga' class once a week where the pace is gentle and slow and you do as much as is ok for you...I am the youngest (which is quite novel! :banana: ) and the others are 60's to 80's - which makes me push a bit more to keep up with them. They are all great fun and lovely ladies.

I also do dog walking for the charity Cinnamon Trust three times a week. One, because I love dogs and two, because I had to have a reason to go out and walk! I knew I had to exercise more but just couldn't find motivation, so volunteered for this.

(The Cinnamon Trust are a fab charity who have volunteers go and help the elderly or seriously ill people with their pets that they would otherwise have to part with. )

They are one of my favourite charities, and it's so great because everyone benefits (dog, owner and walker).

I walk the dog, skate and try to do the odd gym session plus youtube exercise program. I found a youtube series of 'walk away the pounds' (hope I can mention that on here) which combines walking (in the house) with other exercises and there are different distances and speeds.

toffeecushion

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

I used to have a clothes horse that doubled as a treadmill ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3