Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 37 and starting menopause  (Read 2930 times)

MichieG

37 and starting menopause
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »

Hello newbie here  :-*

I am 37, and a few months ago I had key hole surgery to remove a 7cm cyst (I named her Cynthia) from my ovary.

During my stay in hospital the hospital staff enquired about my situation and in particular to my cycle which was easy for me to answer I don't have one... I have been on the contraceptive injection (depro provera) since I was 15, so I haven't had a period for 22 years!!

On hearing this I was asked by my friend that was with me "when that time comes, how will you know when you are going through menopause", well this got me thinking you know what I don't know.

So on getting out of hospital I checked what the symptoms and it seems I have quiet a few, in isolation I hadn't put the link between my night sweats, insomnia, palpitations, my mood swings etc.. And I am sure is related my nails have always been rock solid they are now weak as paper, my hair is lank and my joints ache (although I am a gym goer so it could be that), I also cannot seem to curb my comfort eating.

Anyway I saw my doctor, we agreed I'd take a short break from my contraception and then go for a blood test, although I think he only agreed to the blood test to appease me, he'd already pointed out that 43 is considered early for menopause so it would be highly unlikely that I was.

Whilst waiting for my blood results I visited my grandfather who confirmed my deceased grandmother had experienced menopause at 30, so it seems it's in the family. Mum isn't someone for going to the docs and with the stigma of HRT she didn't go straight away so it's not on her record + she had thyroid so her body was all over the place.

My Blood tests came back and it was borderline low, he wants me to have a second blood test 4 months after the first one to check levels and has suggested if levels are lower that HRT is an option at that point.

I don't want children so my life plan isn't affected by this, so I am actually mentally dealing with it quite well.  i have always kidded everyone that I am younger than I am, this makes me feel old.   :'(

How do I cope with sleeplessness now, I have always been a put your head on the pillow and be out in seconds person, that's gone and staying asleep is a nightmare.  As a migraine sufferer not sleeping properly is one of my main triggers. Is there anything I can do before my second blood test or should I go back to the doctors early?

Do you think the presence of Cynthia could have brought this on? (Night sweats / insomnia has been going on at least all year if not longer)

Thanks

ancient runner

Re: 37 and starting menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »

No expert but there are a fair few on here who had very early menopause so Cynthia may not have had anything to do with it. Welcome to the forum - hope there will be someone who knows more than me along soon!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »

MichieG - Hi and welcome to MM
My menopause started in my mid 30s and I started on HRT at the age of 37.  Premature meno is far more common than you'd think. My mother and grandmother had an early menopause. It's good you are having tests but I wouldn't wait 4 months - maybe ask to have another blood test in 2 months and if your FSH is high and oestrogen level is low then you really should be put on HRT to prevent long term health issues.  If you are diagnosed as even peri menopausal then as a migraine sufferer they need to take this into account and offer you an HRT patch instead of pills.
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »

Hi MichieG - welcome to the forum from me too!

This is the information from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen re premature menopause and HRT. It really is important at your age, as Dancinggirl says, to use HRT for your heart and bone health. 

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause.php

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »

Just to add  :welcomemm: from me too MichieG.

At least you're on track to finding out whether you may also be heading for an early menopause. You will find lots of support on here :)

Hurdity x

MichieG

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate the advice. I will go back to the GP and ask for another blood test asap.

Xx

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »

I started getting symptoms at 35, though didn't pick up that was what it was until last year when I was 39.  My best friend started at 38 and we both have history of menopause starting in late 30s/early 40s in our families.  As dancinggirl says, it is more common than you would think and there does seem to be a genetic link (I've read articles saying no scientific evidence for this, but everyone I know who started early for non-surgical reasons has other family members who also started early)

No idea if 'Cynthia' (love the way you named 'her'!!!) could have had an affect.  Although my GP says meno often seems to be triggered/accelerated by stressful events (my symptoms went mad age 38 when my dad died) so maybe your body decided to speed things up a bit.

Have a look round the site as there is loads of helpful info which will make you feel more informed for your next GP visit.  Depending on where you are in the process, it might be worth considering a BCP instead of HRT - a few of us early meno ladies are using BCP instead of HRT & there are some threads on that too.