Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The point of this specific thread  (Read 24306 times)

honeybun

The point of this specific thread
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »

I just thought this was worth mentioning.

One of our members specifically requested Dr Currie for an alternatives thread where women who could not, or did not want to take take HRT could come and comfortably discuss alternative therapies.

Dr Currie very kindly agreed to this ....so we have what we really wanted.

I think it's probably being lost in translation.

I really don't want this to become an argument but it would seem that some of our posters are still not able to discuss things freely without the sceptics putting views forward.

Surely the point is an open discussion ...but between the members who are interested in treatements other than the conventional.
The rest of the forum is for the other health discussions ....ie ....not alternatives

Perhaps I have got this wrong and then I appologise but I really think the point is being missed.....or ignored.

I could be wrong though...in that case I'm really sorry.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

Re: The point of this specific thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »

"Aaaaagh! Not that again! ---------  >:( "

Was posted in the topic discussing the Ladycare Magnet

To me looks like one member getting annoyed at another for having the temerity to express an opinion about an Alternative Therapy.  I was under the impression that this IS the place where such things can be discussed not shot down in flames

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »

Well that was my point. Thanks Limpy.

I think this is the place for the different things, the out there thoughts....but not for the scientific brains.

Their thoughts and informative links are very much welcomed.....just not here perhaps.

Otherwise this thread is a waste of time.

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong though  :-\.....but I really thought that was the whole point.

And we did wait a while to get this......and lost members on the journey to....ALTERNATIVES.  ;)

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »

Agree with what has been said. I have found that only drinking de-caffeinated tea after mid afternoon seems to help with night sweats but I doubt there is any scientific evidence for it. Yes it may be a placebo effect or it might just be me- who knows but I feel happier mentioning it on a thread where I won't be shot down in flames by merely suggesting it might help someone else.

Thorntrees

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »

We all need to use or not use whatever we feel works or not for us, be it prescribed medication or alternatives. I'm now trying alternatives after coming off HRT. They may work, they may not. I welcome alternatives section.
We are all different, so we need a varied forum.

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »

I think everyone needs to calm down.  If people have tried an alternative therapy and it hasnt genuinely worked for them i dont see any issue in them stating this, the same way that is someone tried hrt didnt get on with it.    I have tried the magnet did absolutely nothing for me however i highly rate acupuncture.  I do take HRT but also have an open mind to alternatives.  There are always going to be differing opinions and its about respecting others views. 
It was myself who contacted dr currie too
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:34:41 AM by lancashirelass »

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »

Of course everyone should be able to say whether a therapy worked for them or not.

But to ask about something alternative and to be told not to waste your money or just to take HRT, kind of defeats the purpose of having a purely alternatives thread.

That is for the rest of the forum.

Maybe I have got this very wrong but I'm beginning to wonder what the point is to be honest.

And I am calm thanks  ;)

Honeyb
x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »

Now that's something I haven't tried yet Prajna .....voodoo.

It's a thought though   ;D :)

Honeybun
X

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »

People should be able to state what worked and didn't work for them as it would be a bit pointless if you were only allowed to post positive comments on alternative treatments!  But I think it should be based on your own personal experience or concerns, and not just a 'no, this doesn't work, it's unscientific' comment.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »

It is a bit tricky! I don't read the alternative section very often as I've not had any good experiences of alternative therapies but feel I can't actually say that as it is a negative comment. I think it does help if someone says they tried it but it didn't work for them or lists any side effects they suffered but it's difficult to word it without coming across as being against alternative treatments.

Taz x  :-\

Dana

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »

Of course everyone should be able to say whether a therapy worked for them or not.

But to ask about something alternative and to be told not to waste your money or just to take HRT, kind of defeats the purpose of having a purely alternatives thread.

That is for the rest of the forum.

Maybe I have got this very wrong but I'm beginning to wonder what the point is to be honest.

And I am calm thanks  ;)

Honeyb
x

...but this is the problem. It comes down to a very fine line between someone being able to post their experiences and opinions, and other people over-reacting because they view that person as being a "skeptic, belittling and ridiculing". Why can't someone say "don't waste your money", if that's been their personal experience with it?

Personally speaking, I have nothing good to say about the alternative naturopathic treatments for menopause, because I've done it. I spent 3 months of my life and $3000 of my money trying it, and it made everything worse. The alternative industry makes a hell of a lot of money out of women, mostly by scaring them about conventional treatments for menopause, and a lot of women will waste a lot of money trying them - and that upsets me. Yet I get the distinct impression that those comments aren't welcome in this section because it's just seen as negative.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:31:03 AM by Dana »

Dana

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »

It is a bit tricky! I don't read the alternative section very often as I've not had any good experiences of alternative therapies but feel I can't actually say that as it is a negative comment. I think it does help if someone says they tried it but it didn't work for them or lists any side effects they suffered but it's difficult to word it without coming across as being against alternative treatments.

Taz x  :-\

This is exactly the point that I'm also trying to make.

Dana

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 12:51:10 AM »

See - this is exactly what I mean. Maybe it isn't a waste of money for some women, but I made a comment about my personal experiences and opinions. However, this now becomes a "sweeping statement".... sigh....

If other women want to spend money on trying different things, I have no problem. It's their money, but I'm also entitled to give my POV that it is a waste of money, because I wasted a hell of a lot of mine.  But then maybe I'm not entitled. Maybe people only want positive opinions in this section. If so perhaps it should be made clear at the very top of the section.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:55:49 AM by Dana »

thorntrees

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »

I get it  Grangravy and agree with you.
 What is sad is that having struggled to get the thread going the same arguments are causing problems yet again.
 The years around menopause are so difficult for so many women and finding a way through is very much a personal journey, share experience of various routes by all means but if there really was just one solution wouldn't we all be doing it!

Thorntrees

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »

What makes you feel you would be strung up Teresa? Lots of us on HRT do wonder why we put ourselves through the various side effects to try to find a type of HRT that at least enables us to continue with our lives to some extent and have posted about it!

It really feels as if we have two forums running in an "us and them" way and nobody will really benefit. A lot of effort was obviously made to get the alternative section started yet we still have threads like this arguing about it which, in my opinion, is a bit pointless. I'm quite worried about posting on anything nowadays.

Taz  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3