Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wild yam root capsules  (Read 9371 times)

Claireylou

Wild yam root capsules
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »

Has anyone got any experience of these please?

I've been doing some research and they seem to get good reviews but just wanted to check before I take the plunge

Thank you ladies xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild yam root capsules
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »

We eat yams which we buy from the Indian market.  Roasted or mashed like potatoes.  Might be quicker?

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »

Ooo thanks CLKD,

I didn't think of that. Will have a look see at our local veg market.

Thank you  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »

Nice roasted.  Nice smashed with butter  ;).  Makes a change from spuds.

Claireylou

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »

My mouth is watering already  :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »

Hi Claireylou

No experience but you did mention that you had read good reviews so wondering what you wanted to use it for and had to have a little Google as one does, and came up with this information which might help:

- first an academic summary paper from the University of Maryland Medical Centre and an extract from the start of the paper:

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/wild-yam

" Wild yam

Overview
In the 18th and 19th centuries, herbalists used wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) to treat menstrual cramps and problems related to childbirth, as well as for upset stomach and coughs. In the 1950s, scientists discovered that the roots of wild yam -- not to be confused with the sweet potato yam -- contain diosgenin. Diosgenin is a phytoestrogen, or plant-based estrogen, that can be chemically converted into a hormone called progesterone. Diosgenin was used to make the first birth control pills in the 1960s.

Although herbalists continue to use wild yam to treat menstrual cramps, nausea and morning sickness, inflammation, osteoporosis, menopausal symptoms, and other health conditions, there's no evidence to show it works for these uses. Several studies have found that it has no effect at all. That is because the body cannot change diosgenin into progesterone; it has to be done in a lab. Wild yam, by itself, does not contain progesterone.

General
Early Americans used wild yam to treat colic, a reason for another name for the plant, colic root. Traditionally, it has been used to treat inflammation, muscle spasms, and a range of disorders, including asthma. However, there is no scientific evidence that it works. Several studies show wild yam has powerful antifungal properties and may help fight yeast and other fungal infections.

Menopause and Osteoporosis
Although wild yam is often advertised as a natural source of estrogen, there is no scientific evidence that wild yam works to treat menopausal symptoms or osteoporosis. In fact, several studies have found that wild yam does not reduce the symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, or raise levels of estrogen or progesterone in the body. Some preparations of wild yam may contain progesterone, but only because a synthetic version of progesterone (medroxyprogesterone acetate or MPA) has been added to them.
"

- second - a couple of other websites (American) which summarise its uses.  I think this is mainly discussed in America because of the different healthcare system there and the widespread promotion of all sorts of remedies by companies and practitioners.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-970-wild%20yam.aspx?activeingredientid=970&activeingredientname=wild%20yam

Wild yam is a plant. It contains a chemical, diosgenin, which can be made in the laboratory into various steroids, such as estrogen and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). The root and the bulb of the plant are used as a source of diosgenin, which is prepared as an “extract,” a liquid that contains concentrated diosgenin.

There are over 600 species of wild yam. Some species are grown specifically as a source of diosgenin for laboratories to use in making steroids. These species are generally not eaten due to a bitter flavor. Only about 12 of the 600 species are considered edible.

Diosgenin or wild yam is often promoted as a “natural alterative” to estrogen therapy, so you will see it used for estrogen replacement therapy, vaginal dryness in older women, PMS (premenstrual syndrome), menstrual cramps, weak bones (osteoporosis), increasing energy and sexual drive in men and women, and breast enlargement. Wild yam does seem to have some estrogen-like activity, but it is not actually converted into estrogen in the body. It takes a laboratory to do that.

Similarly, you will also see wild yam and diosgenin promoted as a “natural DHEA.” This is because in the laboratory DHEA is made from diosgenin, but this chemical reaction is not believed to occur in the human body. So taking wild yam extract will not increase DHEA levels in people. Individuals who are interested in taking DHEA should avoid wild yam products labeled as "natural DHEA."

Wild yam is also used for treating a disorder of the intestines called diverticulosis, gallbladder pain, rheumatoid arthritis, and for increasing energy.

Some women apply wild yam creams to the skin to reduce menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes.

How does it work?
Wild yam contains a chemical that can be made into various steroids, such as estrogen, in the laboratory. However, the body can't change wild yam to estrogen.
"

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-wild_yam/article_em.htm#whatis

"The use of wild yam in cultural and traditional settings may differ from concepts accepted by current Western medicine. When considering the use of herbal supplements, consultation with a primary health care professional is advisable. Additionally, consultation with a practitioner trained in the uses of herbal/health supplements may be beneficial, and coordination of treatment among all health care providers involved may be advantageous.
Wild yam is also known as Dioscorea villosa, China root, Mexican yam, colic root, devil's bones, rheumatism root, yuma, and rheumatism root.
Wild yam has been used for menstrual cramps or pain, menopausal symptoms, rheumatic conditions, and gallbladder complaints. Wild yam is sometimes suggested as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy. While components of wild yam are chemically manufactured into the hormones progesterone or estrogen, the body is unable to use wild yam in the same way.
"

Hope this helps! Not sure if I've eaten it but sounds delicious - I like sweet potatoes :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »

aaahhhh ……… you are a Mine of Info.  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »

Not me CLKD - the internet!!!  ;D I just enjoy looking stuff up  :)

Hurdity x

Claireylou

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »

Thank you for that interesting post Hurdity.

I think I'm going to have to read up some more before I start taking. Although I must admit the yam mash does sound scrummy xxx

:thankyou: :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »

>creeps away< ………..  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »

Whilst on subject of Yams. I thought Yams were sweet potatoes, but are they? I'm confuddled! Doesn't take much these days.  :)

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 06:34:19 PM »

Thank you Prajna, I'll head over for a look see  :)

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »

Thanks Prajna. In that case never had a Yam.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »

Read Hurdity's post - it explains it there  ;) - I thought a yam was a yam was a  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »

… not even a yam ?  ;D