Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clarification about copyright please  (Read 17951 times)

ancient runner

Re: Clarification about copyright please
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »

I was away last week and missed the fun over this - as someone who works in publications, I think the issue here was simply the lack of quote marks in the original magnesium posting, so that you might have thought it was the poster who had this level of knowledge/was making the recommendation.
But it was pretty clear that this was what had happened. Cock up rather than conspiracy! And of course it's always helpful to other users to say where something came from...
Personally, I'd say this was about clarity rather than copyright.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »

Thank you

Honeyb
x

ancient runner

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »

;D
That's made my day...
After 30+ years in the trade I feel pretty bloody ancient.

ancient runner

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

Ooh that wasn't a gripe. Nice to be accused of wisdom!  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 11:35:12 AM »

;D

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »

Have you had any response to your question yet Hurdity.

My iPad is still playing up a bit so I wondered if I had missed any response.

Given the fact it was down to me that this issue was brought up I am interested to know if we have had any formal guidance or perhaps the replies have indicated we are sorting it out for ourselves.

Honeybun

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »

Lack of response - silence can be deafening.  We can sort this Girls  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »

CLKD - we can't necessarily sort out what's allowed or not.

Honeybun - Er... not yet.

I presume in the absence of advice to the contrary then whatever has been extracted from the forum rules, and what The Duchess and ancient runner said ie give the source of anything we quote, use quotes around the extract, credit the author and give a link if possilble - then that's OK.

The specific Q of whether it's OK (even when the above guidelines are adhered to) to actually reproduce part or all of press articles where the author is listed (in contrast to scientific studies, public info websites etc) - has not been clarified. I guess it means that those who write for a living don't get royalties if their work is reproduced even if they are credited, unlike with music, but probably difficult to determine this on the internet.

Therefore I will assume that it is OK (to reproduce part or all of articles) - but as above quotes, author and link.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

So as I thought...not a shooting offence.....whew.....I was getting worried there  ;)

Honeybun

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »

Obviously you are not going to get admonished for reproducing one article, and we have already established that the author should have been credited and the article put in quotes - which was the original point which led to the argument! It was the general principle I was seeking clarification about - since this has been raised.

All I said was in the absence of additional advice to the contrary we can assume that we can carry on - provided we use quotes, and credit an author. It doesn't mean that copyright has not been breached - because it clearly says we mustn't use copyrighted material in the forum rules and on most websites where articles appear these will be copyright either of the website or of the author: "You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material."

However I imagine that this forum along with some others ( although I have come across some where quoted stuff has been removed by mods) is turning a blind eye because in practice it would be a full-time job to police and no-one is using the material for personal gain - rather for education.

Ha! I've just found this which I think is self-explanatory - but implies that despite the copyright rule for this forum - such use of material can count as an exception - provided that the author and source is credited:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

Non-commercial research and private study

You are allowed to copy limited extracts of works when the use is non-commercial research or private study, but you must be genuinely studying (like you would if you were taking a college course). Such use is only permitted when it is ‘fair dealing' and copying the whole work would not generally be considered fair dealing.

Criticism, review and reporting current events

Fair dealing for criticism, review or quotation is allowed for any type of copyright work. Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of reporting current events is allowed for any type of copyright work other than a photograph. In each of these cases, a sufficient acknowledgment will be required.

Sufficient acknowledgment

In relation to certain exceptions, if you are making use of that exception to copy someone else's work it is necessary for you to sufficiently acknowledge their work. For example, where you have copied all or a substantial part of a work for the purposes of criticism or review, or where the use was for the purposes of news reporting.

However such acknowledgment is not required where it is impossible for reasons of practicality.

Fair dealing

Certain exceptions only apply if the use of the work is a ‘fair dealing'. For example, the exceptions relating to research and private study, criticism or review, or news reporting.

‘Fair dealing' is a legal term used to establish whether a use of copyright material is lawful or whether it infringes copyright. There is no statutory definition of fair dealing - it will always be a matter of fact, degree and impression in each case. The question to be asked is: how would a fair-minded and honest person have dealt with the work?

Factors that have been identified by the courts as relevant in determining whether a particular dealing with a work is fair include:

does using the work affect the market for the original work? If a use of a work acts as a substitute for it, causing the owner to lose revenue, then it is not likely to be fair
    is the amount of the work taken reasonable and appropriate? Was it necessary to use the amount that was taken? Usually only part of a work may be used

The relative importance of any one factor will vary according to the case in hand and the type of dealing in question.

Interestingly it is a situation that is not cut and dried and according to the above relies on the interpretation of "Fair-Dealing"! Having found this information I feel confident that I can continue as before - ie quoting extracts from articles and papers provided the source is credited.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »

It would seem so.

I have to admit I did wonder how on earth the forum would cope if every little quote had go be checked......who has time for that.

So yes a bit of a fuss over not a lot and now back to normal.  :)

Honeyb
x

Dorothy

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »

It would be a bit pointless too - if you look at the stuff that is sent round on social media. It is impossible to police these days - all we can do is say where we saw the material we are quoting.
Pages: 1 [2]