Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clarification about copyright please  (Read 17918 times)

Hurdity

Clarification about copyright please
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

Hi Emma

Please could you give some clarification about copyright issues?

A member recently posted a complete article written by a journalist from a health website, inadvertently without including any quotes, nor a link, nor anything to indicate that it was not her own words. This was subsequently picked up by other members who provided the link and then pointed out the copyright issues – which then led to some er... discussion, but it looks like the issue was not resolved completely.

As I (and others) frequently post extracts from all sorts of sources (with links and quotes as well as chunks of the information) we need clarification please on the position with respect to press/journalist articles.

The Forum Registration agreement says this:
You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.

The section of the Forum guidelines “Information for Members” states this:

Members are kindly requested to give references (eg links) to any health/medical information they provide, when it is not personal experience. Personal experience is anything the person has undergone himself/herself.

My understanding of this is pretty clear – we must credit any authors of anything that is reproduced from elsewhere and also give links (as long as it is not a commercial link) but what is not clear is how far we can actually reproduce articles (rather than just link to them).

I imagine that we can freely extract sections from scientific papers and abstracts etc, as well as public/charity scientific organisations such as BMS, or NHS etc provided that it is clear where it is from?  However is it OK to reproduce press/journalist articles provided they are in quotes and a link given or does copyright preclude any reproduction? Perhaps this just applies to entire article eg we sometimes include quotes (ie reproduce whole sections) from relevant online newspaper article, rather than the whole article?

Your clarification of this would be appreciated as it would be helpful to many of us. Thanks.

Hurdity

Hurdity

Re: Clarification about copyright please
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »

Prajna - It should be clear from my post that I am not asking about that particular case nor Care2, but the general principle of what is permitted. It shouldn't be necessary to argue about this - I am just asking for general clarification re press articles for my own purposes in future - because it isn't clear to me, from the rules nor from the thread and this might be helpful to others.

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »

Come on Prajna....you should know full well what post Hurdity is referring to you were very involved in the discussion/arguement.....

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »

I'm sure Prajna does.....

It was my post.....I messaged Emma and she hasn't replied leading me to think if it was urgent then she would have done by now.

This was no surprise to me when I logged on this morning  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »

Look, as a result of the other thread I deliberately posted a genuine general question on a new thread here because I did not want to add to the argument on that thread - because it's not to do with that, but arose as a result of that.

In this context, I don't give two hoots about Care2 nor the specific article about magnesium, nor the argument on that thread - that's finished and done with - but I would personally like clarification - because these issues were raised.

Hurdity

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

It would be good to know what types of copied/pasted elements we CAN include within our posts.

So far, sometimes I have;
- Put quotes around pasted sections
- Included a url link

Is this sufficient or is something else needed?

In particular, what is the situation with Wikipedia?
I had assumed that given it is "a free online encyclopaedia" there would be no problem in copying/pasting from it, is this correct?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/16612794

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »

The problem I have is no one has to my knowledge has encountered problems before. The only time I've seen anything removed is if it has a direct link to buy.

Don't we think we are taking things just a little too seriously here. We are a little forum....who is really going to bother what a group of women are posting in an informal way.

I guess now there is going to have to be some clarification here but I think it's something and nothing to be honest......and I wish I had never copied and pasted the information that I did.....look at all the problems it has caused.
I really hope we don't put off more people due to being a bit pedantic.

Of course that is just my personal opinion.

I have asked my daughter for the name of the site she uses as a plagiarism checker.....think I might start running my posts through that  ::) ;D

Honeybun
X

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »

Sorry I thought Care 2was a separate posting altogether, oh sigh...all too much for a Monday morning, I agree with HB my gran would have called it splitting hairs....

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »

It's really difficult to find out the legal position regarding this. I found a copy of one of my mum's poems on a website which didn't include her name. I contacted the owner of the site who was really apologetic and credited it to my mum. I found it to be upsetting that they had used her words but not mentioned her. With copy and paste I think that as long as you do mention that this article was written by.... then that is the polite thing to do. If you post a link then this should be fine as the name of the author should be there anyway. Tricky subject.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »

Every piece of work has an author but down the years it is not possible to keep track of who wrote the piece, i.e. The Rainbow Bridge and If It Should Be as 'anon'.

In many books that I read the author will state that if anyone has a problem with quotes or photographs that it will be acknowledged when the book goes to the next Print Run.  Can't be fairer than that.

TheDuchess

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

The T&Cs of the use of that website

http://www.care2.com/help/general/tos.html

Point 6 - YOUR CONDUCT

6TH BULLET POINT DOWN

upload, post, email, transmit
or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.

Copyright infringement is uploading, posting, emailing, transmitting anything which was written by someone else on the site which is not credited to the author.

The website belongs to and is edited by Melissa Beyer. That information is on the site as is this.

My initial post was mean to be helpful and I am sorry for hijacking Hurdity's genuine request for clarification.

The bullying on this forum is out of order. It's clear that most people here don't understand copyright and the way it works, it's not worth trying to explain it to people who just want to be unpleasant. I won't be posting again as I can't be arsed with the silly attitudes of some women here.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:45:38 PM by TheDuchess »

Linsey44

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »

Regardless of the copyright debate, from reading  your posts on that thread alone I speak only for myself when I say I am happy you wont be posting again.

I have been looking and posting on here for quite some time and have found it helpful and supportive and feel you werent being considerate to others views and the respectful culture on this forum.

Hurdity apologies if you dont find this relevant to your original post.

Linsey

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »

Phew  ;) ………. I don't know why that particular person thought she should contribute to MM but seemed to be pushing her views …...

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »

A troll perhaps.

Have to admit I did wonder as she never introduced herself as most newbies do to let us know a bit about her.
Something was not right.

Oh well, it would seem I dodged the bullets......now can we please just resume normal sensible service in the way we have been doing for years.
Women having a chat in a friendly way and not getting bogged down.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »

:peace:
Pages: [1] 2