Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Night-time anxiety, anyone?  (Read 4890 times)

Dulciana

Night-time anxiety, anyone?
« on: October 29, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »

Hi.  Does anyone else who suffers from anxiety find that it is worst at night?   If I'm really busy during the day, I can often manage to stave it off but if I wake up in the middle of the night, it's as if there's a queue of worries waiting to jump into my mind and keep me awake for ages, tossing and turning. Last night, my panics started as soon as my head hit the pillow.  Hubby didn't know what to do with me!  Even if I eventually manage to get rid of one worry, another pops right in and I'm up to high doh again.   It's exhausting me and right now, I can do without that.    :-\

Dorothy

Re: Night-time anxiety, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »

It comes and goes for me.  I've found the best thing is to have something good to fix my mind on as I go to sleep.  I have a book that gives a selection of Bible verses for each morning & evening and I often pick one of those verses to think about when I put the light out.  I know this might not be acceptable for everyone depending on your beliefs, but you could try the same idea using a poem, positive saying or a happy memory.  Or list all the blessings in your life.  Every time a worry pops up, remind yourself you are not dealing with that now, you are thinking about good things.  I've also found that if I go to sleep dwelling on good things, I am less likely to panic when I wake in the night.  And if I do, I just pick up where I left off.

BTW, this assumes the anxieties are not about 'realistic' things or are excessive.  If you're worried about real stuff, then make time earlier in the day to think through them and work out what, if anything you can do about them.

Dulciana

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »

Thanks Dorothy.  I'll try and take your advice on board. 

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »

This has been hounding me for the past week now, just seems to pop out of nowhere. I try my best to think of good things and how lucky i am but just doesn't work. I feel so uptight full of worry over nothing and that's the annoying thing all health anxiety. I just want to chill out, be able to breath easy. My hubby was the same with me one night last week, wondering what was going on. I was up and down like a yoyo trying to explain the feelings but then i gave up. I wanted him there but just shut up please >:(

Millykin x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »

Yep, the early hours are when my real worries take over.  I used to have the radio on quietly by the bed.  If my mind is racing I read, until my arms get too cold  ::).  A friend has a pad and pen and writes down what's racing through her brain …….

DH will massage my thighs should he happen to wake up.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:45:45 PM »

:jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy:

Taz x  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »

On yer bikes  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »

:rofl:

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »

Hello Dulciana.

I actually have the opposite at the moment. If I wake during the night I usually get up, have a glass of milk and then go back to bed and straight to sleep. I've noticed that during these times I feel calm and relaxed with no signs of hot sweats or any anxiety. Annoyingly, a few hours later I wake up full of tension which lingers all day and is worse in the early evening ( ie now lol! ) before disappearing about 8 pm ish. Yesterday I felt so horrible at tea time that I broke open the emergency sherry! I don't know if this is relevant but I have never had many menopausal problems at night, it's the day time that floors me.

Sending hugs as meno anxiety is the pits, no matter what time of day or night you encounter it.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »

Makes a long drink, with lemon and borage flowers  ;)

Kathleen: What time do you wake for the glass of milk?  It may be a drop of blood sugar when you wake later  :-\ - do you eat well in the evening, i.e. slow release like a banana?

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »

Hello Dulciana.

I actually have the opposite at the moment. If I wake during the night I usually get up, have a glass of milk and then go back to bed and straight to sleep. I've noticed that during these times I feel calm and relaxed with no signs of hot sweats or any anxiety. Annoyingly, a few hours later I wake up full of tension which lingers all day and is worse in the early evening ( ie now lol! ) before disappearing about 8 pm ish. Yesterday I felt so horrible at tea time that I broke open the emergency sherry! I don't know if this is relevant but I have never had many menopausal problems at night, it's the day time that floors me.

Sending hugs as meno anxiety is the pits, no matter what time of day or night you encounter it.

Take care.

K.

Thanks Kathleen.  We do all experience this sort of thing differently, don't we?   Sending hugs back and hoping today has been calmer for you!   :hug:

westie

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »

Hi Dulciana

I just came on to the forum tonight to ask the very same question!!

Have been getting this for a while now on and off but this latest bout has been going on for a couple of weeks now and it's really starting to get me down. Apart from anything else, I find it so exhausting and am fit for nothing in the morning.

Am going to try a banana tonight in the hope that it will keep my sugar levels stable and hopefully I won't wake up and start it all off again.

W x

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:19 PM »

Hi Westie and you have my sympathies/empathies!  If you're going to try a banana tonight, have you thought about having a glass of milk with it?  Bananas and milk both contain a substance called tryptophan, which apparently is sleep-inducing.   Hang on, I should have that, myself - practise what I preach!     Good luck!

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 10:16:26 PM »

It's when I go to bed that's the problem, mind keeps going. I'm shattered &  can feel the churning in my stomach as I toss & turn willing sleep to come. Last 4 nights I've had about 3 hours sleep per night.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

I'm the other way around. Fine at night and awful in the morning.

Must be harder at night when there is little distraction. Too much time to think in the wee small hours.

Honeyb
x