Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Amitryptilene  (Read 4571 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Amitryptilene
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »

I was getting confused (more confused ? ) so did the Google  ::)

When I was given amitriptyline I was told it was given to people to calm epilepsy - that was in the 1990s.  It now seems that it can trigger seizures.  So:

Arthritis Today magazine
What are the possible side-effects of amitriptyline?

The most common side-effect is a dry mouth, but you may also feel drowsy or spaced out in the morning or during the day, especially if you take the amitriptyline too late at night. Side-effects may be reduced by ensuring you take the dose no later than 8 pm or by starting with a very low dose and building up gradually over a few weeks.

You'll need to take care when driving or operating machinery.

Less common side-effects include:
difficulty passing urine – this can be a problem in men with prostate problems
constipation
dizziness – this may occur in older people due to a fall in blood pressure
blurred vision
some weight gain or weight loss.

If you experience side-effects, it's often worth continuing treatment as they'll usually lessen with time. However, if you experience any unusual side-effect, or something that you're particularly concerned about, while on the treatment, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Extra care may be needed if:

you're being treated for epilepsy – amitriptyline may cause more frequent seizures
you have heart problems – if you experience an irregular heartbeat while on amitriptyline you should discuss this with your doctor

you have glaucoma – regular eye tests with an optician should pick up any problems.

There's no evidence that amitriptyline is addictive or causes dependency, especially at low doses.

- See more at: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/amitriptyline/possible-side-effects.aspx#sthash.cTtQg8Ud.dpuf
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:43:02 PM by CLKD »

Limpy

Re: Amitryptilene
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

CLKD - I've Not heard of it being used to treat Epilepsy.  :-\

"Amitriptyline /ˌæmɪˈtrɪptɪliːn/[5] (Elavil, Endep, Levate, and many others) is the most widely used tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). Amitriptyline is chemically basic and is in the form of hydrochloride salt (pKa 9.4) in the market.[6] It is used to treat a number of mental disorders, including major depressive disorder and anxiety, and less commonly psychosis, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and bipolar disorder. Other uses include prevention of migraines, postherpetic neuralgia, neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia, and less commonly insomnia.[7]"

I believe Carbamazepine and Gabapentin are among the things used to treat Epilepsy.
Though, drugs do seem to be used off label as well.............  ::)

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

I agree with Limpy. It's Gabapentin and Pregablin that are the anti consultants. They are sometimes 'linked' with Amitriptyline because all three, along with Duloxetine, are widely used for nerve pain and Fibromyalgia.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

I took Amitriptyline years ago when I was pregnant with my 2nd DC. I had been taking Prozac for PND but when I got pregnant with DC2 my GP swapped me to Amitriptyline as it was considered safer for the baby.

I was on it for over a year. I don't recall it being all that sedating during the day? But I do remember always sleeping like a log, even with the broken sleep that comes with a newborn. I would get up to feed DC2 in the night, then within seconds if being back in bed I would be fast asleep again.

When I took it last year I found it much more sedating. I felt quite dreamy much of the time and I felt I had lost my 'edge' which is necessary for my job.

I slept very deeply, but rarely dreamed anymore. And waking up in the mornings was sometimes tricky. But actually I do think it was a beneficial time for me. My nerves had become so raw and my anxiety so intense that I needed something to just cocoon me for a bit.

I stopped taking it after 7 months because my symptoms kept breaking through on a cyclical basis. I went cold turkey off it, overnight, which I know you're not meant to do but I had no withdrawal symptoms or side effects.

andius

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:30:17 AM »

Urologist told me it numbs the bladder as it is excreted mostly in urine.  She said if you hold it in your mouth for a few minutes it will numb your tongue.....sure enough it does both  :)! In low doses it is used for pain.

I was only taking 1/2 of a 25mg pill (so the coating wasn't on the cut part-hence the numbing) but found I gained weight and it was mildly sedating.  Other than that no issues.  She told me to take it when I needed it, that I didn't have to take it all the time as I wasn't using it like an antidepressant. Since then, no weight gain. No problems on starting and stopping for me.

Andius

Dana

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 04:57:49 AM »

I've always found amitryptyline very helpful with my on-again off-again sleeping issues. My doctor gives me 50mg tablets, but I usually only use a quarter or a half a tablet (so roughly 10-20mg) which means a packet of 50 tablets lasts me for ages.

It does definitely have a numbing effect, because if the cut part of the tablet touches my tongue or inside my mouth before I drink some water it will numb it temporarily. It does also have the side effect of a dry mouth, but only if you take it at higher doses and for a longer period of time. Taking about 10-20mg for a few days here and there has never given me a dry mouth.

I tend to sleep a lot more deeply on it (not as many bathroom calls through the night - so your comment andius about it numbing the bladder is interesting), but I don't have any sedation problems during the day. The only thing I can complain about is that I usually end up taking it later at night (once I realise that getting to sleep isn't going to happen), so I do tend to wake later, but as I don't work, and I don't usually plan any appointments until at least 9am, that's not an issue.

I've never taken it long term, so I don't know if there would be any dependency issues, but using it for up to a week or two has never caused me any problems of needing to wean off it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »

'until at least 9a.m' - I'm lucky if I've surfaced by then  ;D

Dana

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:53:46 AM »

I've always been an early riser, so it bugs me when I can't get out of bed by 7am at the latest, especially now that we are coming into summer in Australia, and if I don't leave for my daily walk by around 7.30am it's too damn hot. Oh well - such is life...

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »

……. ah, sunshine - early morning walks in the warm ….. I can be out of bed on a nice day when we are on holiday  ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »

My husband is taking this for nerve pain - it takes 2 weeks to start being effective!

So far it is doing nothing for the pain or the sleep  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »

How many doses as he swallowed though ……..

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »

Only since the weekend - we still have over a week of thrashing about in bed to go  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »

Will it work  :-\