Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Endocrinology appointment and BCP  (Read 5605 times)

Briony

Re: Endocrinology appointment and BCP
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 09:12:27 PM »

Yes I reckon there's a good chance your hormones are still breaking through. But then if Qlaira can be used as a contraceptive then that really shouldn't happen?

Is it as effective as a contraceptive as regular BCPs?

Given that the estrogen is identical to eg. Femeston 2/10, which isn't a contraceptive,  I guess it must be the progesterone in Q  that assists its contraceptive property?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »

I think the BCP should stop your own hormone production, which is why you can't get pregnant. So if your own hormones have been fluctuating and causes issues taking the BCP should stop the fluctuations by shutting down your ovaries/hormones production.

But shutting down your ovaries and instead giving you a set daily dose of hormone might not entirely suit you either, and cause issues.

I took Microgynon back to back for nearly 3 months, and eventually I think I reacted to a build up of too much progesterone in my system.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

I just don't know enough about how the Pill works. But I do know that the high levels of oestrogen and progesterone trick your body into thinking it's already pregnant, so you don't ovulate.

So it must be the combination of the two? Maybe?

Briony

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

Did the endocrinologist say anything that might suggest why we can get peri symptoms while taking BCP?  I get hot flushes etc while I'm taking it though not as bad as I do on my pill break.  Really don't understand how that works.

Given what PF says at the start of this thread, I wonder if it's actually related to the progesterone in your pill? The reason I say this is that I think Ovranette is  like Microgynon (what GRL took previously) which is the least estrogenic pill in the pill ladder. I wonder if you took one that had a less dominant progesterone, whether your symptoms would be reduced?

Poppyflower

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »

Yes the hormones from birth control cause a negative feedback to the pituitary stopping the production of LH and FSH which in turn stops you from ovulating and therefore no release of estrogen and progesterone. That is why my gynecologist suggested that now that I am at the moment on HRT I could sort of check myself to see what my hormones are doing by using a home ovulation kit.....if ovulating then progesterone will fluctuate and if not then no progesterone fluctuation. The endocrinologist suggests a intolerance to the buildup of progesterone as the possible culprit for still getting symptoms. Everyone will react differently to all of the different Progesterone in BCP as well as the different combinations as is the same in HRT when synthetic and sometimes even with prometrium (utrogestin). Also the estrogen in Qlaira would appear to help with the decreasing or fluctuating estrogen but is perhaps not what is stopping ovulation as I think that is the progesterone doing that in that pill....would probably be similar to the effect of having a mirena and topping up with estrogen for symptoms but all combined in a pill?? This is just what I think on the matter....it can get all very confusing but together I think we will figure it out...it is very helpful to post about our different experiences and just wanted to thank everyone!!
Pages: 1 [2]